410 TSS/Duplex Incremental Patterning

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Keep"er coming Bullet , I ain't convinced a 67 gauge will out perform a 28 yet but you're showing a good reason ?
Who would've believed 15 years ago , it was possible ? Small bores have a place in the blind these days but , it
still holds true , you gotta put it on them first , to see how effective those little gun are with 18 g/cc ...9's ?

bullet225ho

Refuge Member
Reaction score
You so right. It blows my mind how effective the 410 can be. I've patterned the 410 with 8.5 TSS duplex and it's good...but not as good as the 10s. The 10s seem to have a lot of folks shrugging shoulders as to the size. I'll tell you. You put a pattern of 10TSS on a bird inside 45yds and he's dishrag, folded up, falling to the water. I think this load is the perfect load for youth or anyone else that wants/has to shoot a 410. The biggest problem I see is folks trying to "aim" a 410 as you typically need to "aim small, miss small" well.....as the pattern shows....shoot that spaghetti bore like a big gun.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You so right. It blows my mind how effective the 410 can be. I've patterned the 410 with 8.5 TSS duplex and it's good...but not as good as the 10s. The 10s seem to have a lot of folks shrugging shoulders as to the size. I'll tell you. You put a pattern of 10TSS on a bird inside 45yds and he's dishrag, folded up, falling to the water. I think this load is the perfect load for youth or anyone else that wants/has to shoot a 410. The biggest problem I see is folks trying to "aim" a 410 as you typically need to "aim small, miss small" well.....as the pattern shows....shoot that spaghetti bore like a big gun.

Yep a shotgun is a forgiving tool for wingshooting , no matter the gauge ! Those that can shoot straight mostly use the pull-through method
and with experience , have a good feel for the gap needed ! It does take some time to develop that natural move of Butt , Belly , Beak move
out in front , seeing the forward allowance shoot method but as we know , with any gauge , it's the same ! I try to help youngsters with the
most important part of wingshooting and that is , finding the line of the target , matching its speed , then , pull out in front with a faster barrel
speed while pulling the trigger ! It really doesn't take long and they're up to speed !
Most don't realize that most shells are traveling 10X (or more) the speed of most targets and with the patterns getting larger , the farther the shot ,
there's no reason to hurry , reasonable distance of the pellets pattern is on our side for success ! Especially with the teeny pellets TSS is offering
in #10's size shot ! It's hard to imagine the weight / hardness and the energy this Tungsten shot can deliver !
Keep up the Good work Bullet , it sure is opening some hunters eyes....with the cost of each shell and bird !

DMC

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will tell you the 410 with #9 tss is a bird crusher. I shoot it just like it’s my 12 no hesitation. Making new believers every time. 3 mallard 2 widgeon 1 gadwall 1 pintail 1 Julie snow
6A48A032-2248-4F5B-8312-3C75D6DB0B8B.jpeg

bullet225ho

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the biggest things that makes me smile is the fact that I can carry a full days worth of shooting in my coat pocket. I've got buddies with larger gauges that literally have shell carriers/cases they bring as added fodder for the hunt.

bullet225ho

Refuge Member
Reaction score
I need to get some 9 and try it out. I started off years ago with 8.5 on Hal's advice for occasional goose. It works well with goose for sure, but I'd say 9 would have worked for goose at the yardages I was shooting....not to mention just a smidge of extra pellet count over 8.5 would be great.