4river essentials

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by Wily, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Wily

Wily Refuge Member

I’ve got a little alweld with Avery blind...and a mud motor to get us in...but we don’t do very good out of it. I bought momarsh blinds this off-season...so hoping that will help

How many decoys work best up there? I sometimes think we do better with taking less.

what about mojos? We typically just take one...and then I have a couple decoys on a jerk string.

We’ve done fairly well but hoping to do better this year...If we get drawn

thanks for any tips

2. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

It's a crap shoot. People who know how to hunt a certain duck park ain't talking.

Most duck parks I like fewer decoys and no mojos. But mojos do work.

The location is the most important part of duck park hunting and the hide is next.

Wily likes this.
  3. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

A boat blind is a large object to hide. You have to do it really well to get birds close consistently. It can be done but there are usually easier methods to have a really good hide.

But then if you're in a terrible spot, nothing matters. Watch and move around your pool if possible, or if not stand next to the stake the nice gentlemen told you to stand by.....and hope for the best!

Wily likes this.
  4. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

It takes years to be a successful public land hunter. Learn your craft. Scout as much or more than you hunt. Learn what water levels do to duck numbers in your area....keep a log of everything you do and every condition you hunt in.

Above all else, be respectful of those you share a pool with....at the end of the day they'll talk with you and you'll learn from them.

Good luck.

feetdown71, ARHHH4 and TooTall like this.
  5. TooTall

TooTall Elite Refuge Member

bingo ^

ARHHH4 likes this.
  6. DuCrazy

DuCrazy Elite Refuge Member

Think mud flats…..that’s what your going to get at that place this year. Just got flooded again this past week….not much chance of any food plots there this year.

Back to Kansas again this season!

feetdown71 likes this.
  7. Wily

Wily Refuge Member

I think the crop is important but cover is more important as the season goes on...the bird numbers increase...and the cover gets worse....and the birds get smarter.

primary problem in the draw pools is the lack of cover...and how to effectively hide.

I like going...and having a jillion birds in the Air...but to have them circle twice and leave is frustrating...that’s where I need help.

if it’s my calling, my decoys or my hide that makes them lose interest...I’m not sure

8. DuCrazy

DuCrazy Elite Refuge Member

Cover….what cover?:scratch

feetdown71 likes this.
  9. jolle

jolle Elite Refuge Member

Water is better than the desert of last year!

10. feetdown71

feetdown71 Senior Refuge Member

Won't be NONE dat dis year!!!! Recon I ought sell all my chit?? Hmmmmm