$500 handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’m looking for a handgun for about $500. With the logistics of still being in college and living in a small apartment and all, this will be my one and only handgun. So I’m looking for something that’s small enough to conceal but still big enough to fit a full(ish) size mag (10+ rounds). While I’d like a .40 or .45, with the ammo shortage right now a 9mm probably makes more sense cause I can get my hands on that.
    I guns I’m thinking about right now are the Ruger security-9, S&W shield, S&W M2.0, Kimber Micro 9 (only holds 8 though), and Springfield XD. The local gun store has a Sig P365, which I really like, with three 12 round magazines and sig’s owb holster for $599 so I might spring for that.
    Anyway, if you had $500 to spend on one do-it-all selfdefense handgun what would buy?

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I'd buy the one that felt best in your hand. Heft all the guns you mentioned, and one or two will stand out for you.
    Oh, and while I like the power of a .45 or .40 S&W, the 9mm is probably your best bet for a self-defense weapon, all things considered.

JP, WestKyHunt and Mayor of Seneca like this.
  3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

The only one on that list that I've had my hands on is the Shield. I like the way it felt and shot. I'm a big guy with big hands, it didn't feel too small. Personally I like the original over the Gen 2 or whatever they call it. The gen 2 has much rougher grips. They were uncomfortable in my hands and I'd imagine could be very uncomfortable if trying to conceal carry IWB.

4. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

Checkout Handgunhero to compare size and capacity. Then go handle and /or shoot your top 2 or 3. Some have interchangeable backstraps . In the end go with what feels and shoots best to you. Also get the one that is safest for you. Some people like safeties some do not. Finally if you find a no lock sw 19 with a 2.75 inch barrel for $500, by it.

5. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I'm a big fan of the sig 365. The 12rd mag is pretty well required, for me anyways. Makes it a totally different gun.

Around here I don't think your going to hardly find a handgun under $500. $599 for the sig with everything sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

9 mm has come a pretty good ways from where it used to be. Selection of bullets has really improved, +p loadings can really make use of them.

Seahawk18, toby and ronaldo like this.
  6. ronaldo

ronaldo Senior Refuge Member

Sig P365's are a great choice. Check out the Springfield Hellcat, too. It is very similar to the P365 and I think it holds one more round. Glock 43X's are nice too, they come with 2 ten round mags. All three of these are proven guns. The S&W Shields dont hold as many rds but are definitely a good, too.

Fowler267 and WestKyHunt like this.
  7. 07AMF

07AMF Senior Refuge Member

Out of what you listed and for $500, pick one of the S&W guns. If you look hard you can get a Glock in 9mm for $550-$600.

For a carry piece it’s hard to beat the slimness of the Shield. Walther makes a comparable gun which is great, the PPS M2.

In the current market, I would secure ammo then find a gun.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Times are tough when you but the ammo first then find something it fits.
    This is way under 500 but finding ammo may be tricky.
    picture 313.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg
    Its a lil fella.
    Goes "pew pew" when fired

9. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

MP Shield 1.0 of those you mentioned....but if I were only going to have one pistol, I would get a Glock 23 and be done with it.

JP and creedsduckman like this.
  10. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

Whatever you get, get it while you can. You can always make an extra 100 or 200 bucks later.