$500 handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I like revolvers, never fails to fire. Might be able to find a Model 37-60 S&W for $500. If you can't do it in 5, ten more ain't much help, and its easier to keep track of where 5 went down range. Should you need to use it. Police officers used revolvers for years, and got by.

oleww likes this.
  2. jrode237

jrode237 Elite Refuge Member

Do yourself a favor and check out the Canik line of TP9 series pistols. Absolute best bang for your buck in the 9mm poly pistol world at the moment. Pre-pandemic you could pick up a TP9 Elite Series One (one magazine, one back strap, gun and holster) for $299 on sale, $329 regular price. You will not find a better stock trigger than what comes on that gun. Especially compared to any of the ones you listed. I currently own 6 of their pistols and would not give any of mine up for much higher priced competitors models. I do wish they would come out with a single stack 9 though.

3. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Elite Refuge Member

I have been carrying the p365 for a little over a year now and love it. I use the 12rd mags, my hands are not huge but they are big enough to make the bigger mag more comfortable. I also added a green crimson trace laser. It adds almost no weight and does not interfere with concealed carry.

ronaldo likes this.
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I am hot for the Kimber Micro right now, just cause I like 1911’s. Dam that 7 shot limitation though. I have a Glock 26, love it. It does everything I want, no need for a new gun , but......you know how it is. The SIG 365 is very attractive. My hunting buddy picked up one before the craziness for $499. Deciding what you want now has a lot to do with availability and also extorted prices. I was in Gander Outdoors and saw old worn and rusty junk for asinine prices.
    Check out RK Guns. For $12.99 they will ship to you FFL dealer. Their site shows a lot of guns and good prices. A page or so of available guns and then pages of guns that are on order and you can have then e mail you when available. About 2 years ago I ordered and picked up and was very pleased. Great price,($10 shipping at the time to my local store),smooth process, great people.

https://www.rkguns.com/handguns.html

5. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

+1 for the smaller smith and Wesson J-frame revolvers. Last year a 38 special could be had new for $400. No telling what they go for now.

My next auto will be a p365.

I am not a fan of plastic guns, but the glocks have a huge following and seem to hold value well.

6. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

We reload everything, and have found the Glocks do not feed our reloads very well, don't think the plastic lowers would stand up well to a overload high pressure round. If factory loads are used they do Okay. Casting our own pistol bullets and reloading lets us practice more to get very good with our Revolvers. S&W 469 and 5906 and 4506 police turn ins sometimes can be had for the $500 range.

7. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

This ..................:tu

The grip has to feel right and if it doesn't fit your hand well you won't shoot it well as one that does. A case in point, a friend had to have a Sig 365, the grip doesn't fit his hand, shoots it poorly and ended up buyer another handgun. I also have shot 3 different P 365, all the hipe of accuracy over rated.

As Tuleman posted, the .40 cal is dying and ammo not as available as 9mm and as far as .45 most expensive of the 3 if you plan to practice a lot.

Of the list of handgun, used 1.0 Shields are less expensive while the shield 2.0 improvements especially the trigger are worth the additional expense if it fits your hand.
    Hogue makes a rubber "hand all" grip that adds girth and gripping area that works well.

Good luck, you pick the worst time due to panic paying to buy a handgun.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Nothing is dying anytime soon, maybe in 16+ years...

Glock 22 would be my top choice...

JP likes this.
  9. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Senior Refuge Member

Before buying my CCW pistol I went to a local range that you can rent firearms and shot every subcompact 9mm they had (and a couple full sizes).
    The Springfield was by far the most comfortable for me and I like the backstrap safety.
    I've had it for 3 years now and its been a great gun. I've ran ~1500 rounds through it without a single hiccup.

My buddy has a Sig that I've been able to handle and shoot. It is comfortable in the hand and he seems to like it very well.

With that said I am on the fence of trading for a Springfield hellcat. The smaller size would be better for a dedicated CCW but i enjoy having the option of 16+1 on my hip

10. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’m going to a range tomorrow and shooting a bunch of different compacts.
    I’ve had limited trigger time behind the P365 and Hellcat before and those are currently the top two on my list. I’ve also shot the both the Springfield XD compact and the S&W M&P M2.0 compact (which is probably third on my list) and liked both of those.
    And yes, I realize that it’s a bad time to buy a gun, but there’s not much I can do about that. That’s why I’m sticking with a 9 though. I can skim some off my old man’s 1.5k round stash if need be.

ronaldo and WestKyHunt like this.