$500 handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Jan 16, 2021.

1. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I really like the Sig P365 and the Kimber micro out of your list . Also don’t rule out a Glock . G43 and even g43X is pretty handy .

ronaldo likes this.
  2. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My Dad used to cast bullets for his 30-06 just so we could go “plinking” at the range!

Olefart likes this.
  3. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’ve looked at the g43 as well and was planning on shooting it tomorrow. My only issue with single stack compacts and subcompacts is their magazine capacity. It’s not a big deal and if I love everything about a gun and it just fits like a glove, then I’ll pick that one, even if it is a single stack. But part of me thinks that if I’m only gonna have 6 or 7 rounds, I might as well just take the hit and get 5 rounds of .357 in a revolver that never has failure to feed or ejection issues.

Olefart, Bclick and oleww like this.
  4. Sam Ortmann

I’d love to get into handloading and will certainly to do so at some point in the future. But right now that is of almost zero concern to me as I unfortunately don’t get to shoot enough to warrant the investment, and even if I did I don’t have the time, space, or money to do so.

Olefart likes this.
  5. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

I hear ya there , I have the g26 for that reason . With the magpul extended mags I can get 12+1 and have the pinky finger hold , but it’s a thic chunky girl . Still carries a whole heck of a lot nicer than my 45ACP 1911 compact though . Last time I almost bought a handgun I looked at the 43x that holds 10 rounds over the standard 43 . It was a toss up for me between the sig365 and the G43X . That sig365 defies logic with size and capacity .

ronaldo likes this.
  6. 07AMF

07AMF Senior Refuge Member

I've seen it posted a few times now, revolvers do malfunction. When they do, it usually shuts them down. A semi can be cleared and made to fire again instantly. Buy a quality semi auto and it will work flawlessly with quality ammo and a proper grip.

THEIRCOMMITED10 and Sam Ortmann like this.
  7. Sam Ortmann

Does anybody have any experience with the FN 503?
    They only hold 6 in the flush magazine or 8 in the extended, but they’re right in my price range, the local gun store has some in stock, they seem to get great reviews, and FN always makes a pretty good gun. I’m gonna add it to my list and check it out tomorrow I guess.

8. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

Curious how you think the accuracy of the 365 is overrated? I'm not saying it isn't, but I know I was surprised at how well it shot for it's size. A glock 43 to me doesn't compare, haven't tried the hellcat, and I shoot it way better than any snub-nosed revolver of similar size I have ever fired. I know of several others that have transitioned to the 365 and all are impressed with what it does in relation to size.

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

Sam, I ran through a lot of try guns before I settled in on a Glock 19, it felt good in my smallish hand. I know that is not on your list and I'm not touting it over anything else. But, what was appealing was there were aftermarket conversion kits to shoot 22 lr. I purchased the TacSol kit and it has performed flawlessly. I can practice much cheaper shooting 22 than 9mm but still have the same weight and trigger pull.
    I've shot my son's G43 and P365 and like them both with the P365 getting the nod between the two. Also, I've shot his Khar compact and like it very much as well but it's an expensive purchace.

Sam Ortmann likes this.
  10. WestKyHunt

WestKyHunt Senior Refuge Member

Some Sig's are modular. That is worth adding to your thoughts. You could buy a .40 now and convert it to 9mm later