$500 handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I’ll take the 10 rounds of a Glock 26 mag, and thats just the standard mag.

Doug Koepke likes this.
  2. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Have you ever carried a concealed pistol before?

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Let’s us know what you think after trying them out today Sam . I think those you listed are all solid contenders .

4. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Must be lucky carried this way for 51yrs, havn't shot myself or any one else yet.

sbezoey likes this.
  5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Just because you've been lucky doesn't mean it's not stupid.

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I have a stainless .357 revolver, which I often use fishing... I feel like I at least have a standing chance against a cat or bear... I have fired the gun twice for bears (but not at the bear itself). Both times the sound of the report was enough to send them running. It is not a great gun for concealed carry, but it is a great gun for home defense or camping/fishing... You can shoot .38 rounds, or .357, which makes it more versatile and cheaper to shoot (depending on the availability of .38 rounds). Very easy gun to learn to shoot, and with .38 rounds the recoil is very manageable... The hot .357 rounds have a bit more snap, but I would guess that if I have to use those rounds, I will not notice.

I recently purchased a M&P Shield for concealed carry, and cannot hit a door right in front of me with it... Some people can shoot it, some cannot. I would NOT purchase another. The recoil with defense loads is snappy, but I cannot hit anything with any rounds in that gun... While I am not a wonderful shot, I can shoot fine with my .45 and my .357...

Honestly, I thought it was just me, but I have since spoken to some far more accomplished shooters who cannot shoot it well either.

Birdcrazy likes this.
  7. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Had a Taurus 357 magnum and could punch holes in cans from 30 feet or so easily. Six inch barrel.
    Loud as hell.

8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

For plinking, targets and cans, the .38 is not as loud....

If I am shooting in self-defense, I doubt the noise will bother me....

I have a 4" barrel, and can also easily hit cans from 30 feet... With the M&P Shield, I cannot hit them from 3 feet.

9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

I bought a S&P Shield .40 took it out and like you, I couldn't hit nothing at about 20' - 30' either. Started reading up on it and found out plenty others had the same problem. I guess i'll just keep it in the travel trailer for self defense if some azzhole broke through the door. The Shield might hit someone at about 6'.....:doh

Squaller likes this.
  10. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

I’ve carried a Ruger LC9 and S&W M&P 2.0 C a couple of times in both an iwb and belly belt holsters just to get a basic feel for it and see what I like and don’t like. The LC9 obviously felt better, especially in the IWB holster. The M&P wasn’t bad in the belly band and isn’t horrible in the IWB if I didn’t do a lot of sitting. With either one, if I knew I was go to be mostly seated, like at dinner or a movie, I’d probably wear it around the ankle. It was in winter however so I didn’t get a feel too much for how and each one printed in lighter clothing.
    But no, I don’t have extensive experience carrying one. This would be my first carry gun.