$500 handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Sam Ortmann, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Sam Ortmann

Sam Ortmann Senior Refuge Member

The deal at the range was three guns, 50 rounds apiece. I shot the P365, Hellcat, and the FN 503. I liked them all, but I probably liked the FN the most.
    I liked the U sights on the Hellcat the best once I got used to them and felt like they were the fastest to aim at close distances. I didn’t like them as much as standard three dot sights at further than about 10 yards.
    The Sig definitely looked and felt the sleekest and most snag free. I liked it’s mag and slide release more than the Hellcat but less than the FN.
    All three of them felt good in my hand, but the FN with the extended 8 round magazine felt the best. With the flush magazine I liked the Hellcat a little better cause I could still fit my entire hand. The Sig was a close third either way.
    None of them were particularly snappy for how small they were.
    The FN’s trigger was by far the best. The other two had triggers that were only not bad, especially for a subcompact, and if I had to shoot them I wouldn’t complain. But the FN’s was consistently a little lighter and a lot more crisp in the break. I thought it was flat out good.
    Size wise they’re all within spitting distance of each other at 1-1.1” wide, 4-4.3” tall, and 5.8-6” long and they all felt pretty concealable.
    The only downside to the FN is I’m packing 6 for the same size as 10 or 11 and 8 for the same size as 12 or 13 in the other two guns.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

You can take or leave this, as you like. Based on 25 years LEO.

Most shootings happen at 7 yards, or less. Like, 90%. At that range, you should NOT be using the sights. You should be bringing the gun up, beginning to extend, and firing. Sights at 7 yards are great for trying to punch one big ragged hole, but not for the purpose you are buying the gun for.

I say this, because your FIRST concern should be what fits your hand the best, and is natural to point. There are several ways you can do this. Stand in front of your target, gun either at the low ready, or in the holster. Close your eyes. Draw, and fire 3 shots. How does it look?

Alternately, you can put a laser in the chamber
    https://www.amazon.com/Sightmark-9mm-Luger-Laser-Boresight/dp/B001C3S736
    and use that for dry fire aiming practice at home. Someone watching helps.

Some guns feel right in the hand, comfortable, but do not point like you think they should. 'They' say the Colt .45 was one of the best at that. Just pointed naturally.

3. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |ModFishing Forum|Duck&Goose Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Great review Sam thanks . Ive also been looking at that FN offering . They make some incredible firearms !!

4. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I've got a Rock Island 1911 that I love! It's the step up from the government model. Has the beaver tail, and rounded hammer. Goes bang every time with everything, except with the Colt ammo that's a copper bullet. With it being copper the bullet itself is a tad longer, and it hung up one time, and with a palm tap locked up. Something that will get better with use. Absolutely love it, and it's more accurate than I am. I saw a government model at Rural King tonight for $455.

I also had a 9mm M&P Shield gen 1 9mm, and still have a gen 2 40cal. Nice pistols, and very easy to carry concealed. The triggers are long, and stiff, and their accuracy is terrible as a result. Really bad without constantly focusing on keeping the gun in target.

The 9mm wasn't bad too shot, but the 40cal isn't too much fun. It's very snappy, and after a couple mags the fun has left the barn.

I made the mistake of shooting the 40 cal first, and then switched to the 1911. Ashamed to say it went bang, before I expected it :doh but I still hit the target right where I intended to. Just something to keep in mind if you shoot something with a bad trigger, and switch off to a good trigger.

The M&p Shields could be bought in the $350 range before the craziness. Haven't seen any in stock anywhere to check prices now. Picking between the M&p Shields, and the Rock Island, I would pick the Rock Island. The Shields are much lighter, and easier to hide, but if things go south, I'd rather know I can hit somebody. The Shields just have such a long, stiff trigger and hitting exactly where I want to is a chore. Especially, if you want fast follow ups. I carry my 45 in a shoulder holster under a vest in the winter, and the Shields IWB. I can do the 45 IWB as well, but it's not as comfortable, since it's full size.

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

OK, just wondered what your perspective was.

I am not 100% familiar with the exact size of every gun you've been considering but it seems like you're looking for a small-ish to medium size gun so you can carry sometimes and use it at home. If that's correct, I would do it differently. If you can't have a small and a big gun, I would not buy a medium size gun as a "meet in the middle" compromise. I screwed around trying to find a good carry gun before single stack 9s were all the rage and carried an XD subcompact for a long time. Compared to the single stacks it's quite a bit more bulk to carry. I found myself not taking it with me if I was wearing a t-shirt and stuff.

I would just buy a gun that's best for carry. You can use a small gun that's ideal for carry on your bed stand just fine. If you get something a little bigger you will leave it home. Yes, you can carry a gun that's a bit larger and I know it somewhat depends on your clothing and body build, but I can pretty much guarantee that there will be times that you would like to have your gun but you leave it behind because of it's size.

Although you don't have a long sight radius that would be better for target shooting, my glock 43 shoots soft and feels like a bigger gun than it is if you get some extended base pads that let you get all of your fingers on it.

Just my 2 cents after trial and error for years with different guns.

6. duckbuster2

duckbuster2 Senior Refuge Member

I shoot and carry a Kimber 1911 3" every day great gun my son carries one too.

7. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I carry a Glock 26. Don’t need yet another handgun but a craving is a craving. Looking at this Kimber and also the PPK. Have a full size Kimber 1911 Eclipse (.45 of cause) and a Para Ordinance that was a steal, couldn’t resist. But, I believe I would like to carry a Micro....and always longed for a PPK. Hmmm, maybe both? CF63BC99-6B85-4A01-A040-21B35B95E42D.png 7BEF25CA-52DB-464D-B436-6708E3FB4980.png

Doug Koepke likes this.
  8. Mayor of Seneca

Mayor of Seneca Elite Refuge Member

I shot my Shield 2.0 this morning Action Pistol steel Plates; agree its a little snappy. I added a Hogue 'Hand All" over the grip, adds girth and more secure hold for $10, well worth it. I had a Shield 1.0, earlier trigger and accuracy not as favorable for EDC gun, sold it. I bought the new 2.0 Shield, better trigger, strengthen the chassis, shoots tight groups. If you shoot 2 hand hold and are right handed rest your left hand thump on the lower frame to stiffen the hold as controls muzzle flip.

9. Mayor of Seneca

This ..................

Just the same for your "Duck Gun" if it doesn't fit you and feel like extension of your arm or hand you won't shoot it well ....................................

10. Mayor of Seneca

Tailfeathers,

I lucked into a Walter PP same as the PPK in .380, had to shoot it with gloves on as the beavertail bites so hard into your hand painful to shoot. After less than a box traded it in on a 1911 as I shoot one first before you buy it.