55 gal drum dog houses, lets see em

CAPTNDAVIE

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am looking for ideas for my dog house and would like to see some pics. Tried the search but no luck.

I already have a dog house out of a drum. All I did was cut the top completely out and screwed and liquid nails a couple of 2x4s to the bottom to keep it from rolling. I want to eventualy weld up a frame to put it in and have a platform on top. My problem is that I cut the whole top out and now I can't put shavings in it. I have another barrell that has had the top cut out that I was thinking of whacking up to make a piece for the bottom to keep shavings from coming out and a piece to make a roof for the opening to help keep rain out and for shade. Any ideas or pics? Thanks

roxie

Reaction score
Kennel4.3.jpg

stuwest

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I use 55 gal plastic drums and put 30 gal inside them, fill the void with insulation. works great. ventilation is critical. LOTS of air holes.

splashdown

Refuge Member
Reaction score
K-9 kondo is ware we get all of are kits from. they are well made and held up for years.

CharlieC

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
K-9 kondo is ware we get all of are kits from. they are well made and held up for years.

I second the K-9 Kondo. I have the Dog Den 2 house and have used it for seven years and it is still in good shape. Only the swinging door is bent a little after I locked it open and the lab jumped on it enough times to bend it.
They make kits to turn a plastic barrel into a fine dog house.

DTHUR

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stu, Tell us about the air holes? For the foam or just to keep the moisture from forming inside? Thanks

stuwest

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
When we foam the barrels we cut a "30 gal circle" in the front the 55, and leave a top an bottom lip on the 30 gal. We fasten a swing door to the top lip and let it float both ways. We put in the foam and put 4 cement blocks on the top to keep the 30 barrel from popping out. The foam squirts out the cracks and dries; then we cut it off.

After the foam has cured two to four days, we use forstner bits to cut all the way thru on the sides and top. I cut a few in the top, then rivet, with a spacer, a rain shield on top of the outside barrel. It gets the moisture out with the heat and keeps the dog from broiling.

Sorry, when we went to indoor kennels we built all wooden houses, but I don't think they are as good as these.

Can't get right

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Stu, I'd like to see one of your barrel houses.