6' 280 lbs, gun, couple dozen dekes, 100 lb Chessie... which marsh boat would be best

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by magnumyammerhammer, May 3, 2021 at 5:47 PM.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Things can get pretty pokey with cattail stems and such. And who knows what's in that North Dakota slough mud :yes

2. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

Then build yourself another little hybrid?

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  3. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Elite Refuge Member

It’s take more than a cattail stem to pop one... they’re made of the same stuff as whitewater rafts. But I understand the hesitation... that’s why I’m not using one!

4. Keegan

Keegan Refuge Member

You are looking at Carstens boats so you should look into a blue bill or canvasback, The pintail is just big enough for me, gear, a bag of decoys, the blind, and a 80 pound dog, I'm half your size, if you wanted a smaller boat for loading, dragging, and carrying purposes then yeah maybe a pintail or mallard with a sled behind it but you're paddling or using a trolling motor with those mainly no mud motors if you want or need one. The four rivers boats are another good option but i've never had any experience with one.

jzee and magnumyammerhammer like this.
  5. magnumyammerhammer

I like both the bluebill and the can, but they're pretty heavy. I actually like the mallard better than the pin. I really don't need to hide so much, as get to spots and paddle in shallower water with a big dog. Plenty of cattails out here. You could hide a damn whale in 'em.

6. magnumyammerhammer

I got a feeling it'll be pretty hard to find good, clear wood with good grain out here. Helluva time finding it in Ohio.

7. Keegan

Keegan Refuge Member

If staying in the line of Carstens boat go with the pintail or mallard and a good sled for your gear, I actually push pole, paddle, or use a trolling motor on my pintail to hunt and bow fish out of with buddies so you can paddle fast, smooth, and stay stable enough even with a big dog in it.

8. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

Stick with the Carstens, I have 3, the Blue Bill, Canvasback, and the mallard, they are all capable off small pothole hunting. I use them 7 days a years in N.D. They are great. They all are fantastic, the mallard and a kayak dolly are as simple as you can get, and one man and a dog in a small pothole are unstoppable. Started with the mallard and now mostly run the Canvasback with a 6Hp mud motor. Thinking of selling the Bill and the mallard, depending on what part of N.D. Might be able to drop one off.

9. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I can actually put a layout blind inside my pintail and use it like that.

10. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Retire that Chessie and get yourself a 55 pound female Lab.:)