DrakeStar

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The greatest generation.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Angles saved a lot of guys during war time.

I wanted to ask him if that's what he thought the Sailer was......but, seeing the look on his face as he told me the story, I didn't want to even give the appearance of questioning him.

I was the oldest of 43 grandchildren and great grandchildren and had a relationship with him that the others did not. None of my relatives, even my dad, had ever heard the story from him. He shaped my life even more than my own parents. I miss him every day.

Tejas

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I wanted to ask him if that's what he thought the Sailer was......but, seeing the look on his face as he told me the story, I didn't want to even give the appearance of questioning him.

I was the oldest of 43 grandchildren and great grandchildren and had a relationship with him that the others did not. None of my relatives, even my dad, had ever heard the story from him. He shaped my life even more than my own parents. I miss him every day.
My grandfather the same. Talking to cousins, they never got the stories I did. I was blessed. Wished I could remember them in better detail. Grandfather packed a BAR, he was 40+ during WWII and an old man when I knew him. One day I got a look at a BAR at a gun show. Grandpa was a stud. No wonder we won the War. My father and uncle were over there as well but quiet, though my uncle did talk a bit about some little French girl he met (not all was hell in Europe), before he passed. He had friends in the pacific and spoke with reverence about what they went through.

The_Duck_Master

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My father was a Staff Sargeant in charge of a 105mm Howitzer in Italy. He passed away when I was 2 and reportedly never talked about it to the family so the only things I have been able to glean about his service come from his photography during the war and his military records that I requested from the archives. I have his purple heart.

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Some awesome stories being shared here. My WWII heritage is my Pops was a B-17 crew chief, my fil was a Marine, one uncle was in the Navy, plus another uncle was an Army paratrooper. The only one who talked much about their experiences was the paratrooper. Most of his stories were about after the war ended and he was assigned duty at Sugamo Prison. Times were tough for those considered to be Japanese war criminals. Dealing with hari kari and executions were part of my uncle's stories. Prime Minister Hideki Tojo was often the subject. Looking back, I think his talking about it was how he got over it.

cootmeurer

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As a kid I worked on a farm for a WW2 Pacific Campaign Marine. He never said a single word about it. His son (a Vietnam marine) told me what few details he knew, that he had been on several island hoping events and was one of the marines that landed on Iwo Jima during the famous flag event.

What was interesting was that I was the only one allowed to hunt and trap his farm, but I was not allowed any firearms of any sort (btw, makes dispatch of skunks VERY challenging) because any gunshot, firecrackers or even car backfire sent him diving for cover. Good man, godly man, but also a man that carried his PTSD all his life.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a kid I worked on a farm for a WW2 Pacific Campaign Marine. He never said a single word about it. His son (a Vietnam marine) told me what few details he knew, that he had been on several island hoping events and was one of the marines that landed on Iwo Jima during the famous flag event.

What was interesting was that I was the only one allowed to hunt and trap his farm, but I was not allowed any firearms of any sort (btw, makes dispatch of skunks VERY challenging) because any gunshot, firecrackers or even car backfire sent him diving for cover. Good man, godly man, but also a man that carried his PTSD all his life.

God bless him, and you for honoring his wishes. :tu

I can't even imagine what it takes to do what those men did.....and the men who fought our wars before and after that one. :bow

DisplacedDuck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thank you for sharing Grif.

My grandfather faught in Italy in the Po River valley. He was a sargeant in charge of a machine gun squad, a browning M1917–the round-barreled water-cooled one.

He never uttered a word about combat until some of his unit members started to pass on of old age. Even then, he only spoke about combat to a war biography author.

The only stories he ever told openly were when, as a German translator tasked to walk POWs to the rear of the line, he pulled his sidearm on a fellow GI trying to steal a German POW’s wedding ring. He let the GI’s strip them of everything they had but drew the line with the wedding band. And then he talked about how his water-cooled gun was about as accurate as a slingshot if they couldn’t keep the barrel cool enough, and about how the water for that gun was arguably as important as the ammunition.

Bear

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can't imagine having balls that big as those tough SOB's to do what they did under fire.
The Pacific series was being shown over the Veterans Day week.

I have been told the island landings were worse than was shown.

If I remember correctly the Tarawa landing craft got stuck on a shallow reef. The Marines, God Bless them, had to swim a distance through deeper water to get to the beach.

The battle was hellacious and the MIA recovery team is still finding Marines remains in mass graves.

Without looking it up there were said to be an estimated 7000 (actually 4500 well trained and equipped Japanese defenders) Japanese soldiers on Tarawa. Only 17 surrendered and several of those had been stunned by the concussion of artillery fire they were just walking Zombies.

I went to school with a couple of brothers whose dad was on Iwo Jima. He made a promise to God if he got off alive from the island he would go to Mass every day. He kept his promise.

My mother went to nursing school with a woman whose husband was gut shot by machine gun fire on Iwo Jima. He developed diabetes as a result of his wounds and eventually died in his mid forties from it.

Their son became a Marine and was seriously wounded in Vietnam when he stepped on a landmine.

God bless your grandfather’s memory and thank you for sharing. An awesome patriot.

Last edited:

Latest posts