79 years ago

API

PAF-CA Flyway
Reaction score
Experience provides a great learning opportunity. I can personally say that those who have "been there and done that" learned the distintion between the doers and the never doers.

honga

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
My Dad was in the Navy on an LST and was a bow gunner firing a 40mm cannon. He was in several invasions, the biggest was Saipan. He rarely talked about his experiences and when he did he kept it brief but he told a story once about the theft of food by Marines they were transporting. They left with all the food but Spam and powdered eggs and that was their food for several weeks. Pop would never touch Spam and until the day he died he hated it. There were plenty of other things that I got him to talk about that weren't fun. He saw some rough stuff for a 17 year old farm kid.

sdkidaho

Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming
Reaction score
He told me he saw a Navy Sailor, in full dress uniform, maybe 8-10 feet tall, standing on the water, pointing the way to shore. He must of noticed the incredulous look on my face, because he just stared at me and said, "that's what I saw and that's why I'm here".
Man had someone watching over him (as we all do, believer and non-believer alike).

I'm glad he shared that with you, and that you shared it with us. He would've gained nothing by making something like that up, and so it speaks to the reality of a higher power.

In listening to some different stories about war time, stories generated from civilian accounts from both sides of WWI and WWII, it is plain to see that nobody wins, and not everyone is your enemy. A lot of good people just going to fight for their country, trying to do what they believed was right and getting caught up in the evil machinations of some truly evil people. A lot of innocent civilians getting caught up in the brutality of war as it passed by their homes. Horrible stuff. Grateful for those who served honorably and who lived to try and have families to raise good men and women.

CookMan

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Seriously. How anyone could simultaneously be such a lowlife AND have internet access?
I will add he needs a beating.
When it comes to a issuing azz beating on that god hating azz Lip it would a long line and around the block to take a shot. But based on his weak input I would say it would be like beating up a Shriner Kid in a wheel chair.. No fight just talk!

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it comes to a issuing azz beating on that god hating azz Lip it would a long line and around the block to take a shot. But based on his weak input I would say it would be like beating up a Shriner Kid in a wheel chair.. No fight just talk!

Dude....those shriner kids would wrap you up in that ADORABLE blanket and whip your arse. :l :l :l

stevena198301

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dude....those shriner kids would wrap you up in that ADORABLE blanket and whip your arse. :l :l :l
1DEDF273-F538-4B67-A6B5-8A897700AC5F.jpeg

salthunter

Reaction score
Agreed the atheist were busy shooting to protect the guys on bent knees praying.

More likely to survive.
My dad's comments about his experiences were substavially different.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My dad's comments about his experiences were substavially different.
I am sure there many different experiences for men going through war, way more then I can think of.

One thing for sure is it effects people differently.