8 gauge shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Apr 7, 2021.

1. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Ballistic Products and Precision Reloading both sell primed unfired 8 gauge hulls. I know they have industrial applications, but why are they being sold from a reloading website company here in the U.S.? I have not seen an 8 gauge reloader nor any 8 gauge wads. Why are they being sold to the public? Perhaps there are buyers in the European market?

2. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

Some folks may have old 8's lying around. They used to be legal for waterfowl afterall. And if you own one, I'd bet you'd load for it. Probably with nitro cards, fiber wads and roll crimp.
    The ridge on the brass is to keep them out of old shotguns, but I believe it can be removed.

3. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

PaulinKansas and JRS like this.
  4. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member

I was at a sxs shoot last month and there were a couple of 8 gauge sxs's there. One the fellow got permission to hunt turkeys from the state, he said it was quite the process as he had to prove that it was no more powerful thand modern shotguns legal for turkey.

Old shotguns didn't use the same loads we use today. I have an early 10ga that was built as an upland shotgun, 28" barrels and 7 lb 14 oz.

1870's 10ga along side my 12ga bird gun dimensions are very close.
    [​IMG]

Here is a link to some fine old 8ga shotguns.
    8 ga shotguns - Bing images

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  5. Jim Atlas

As I understand it, the 10 ga use to be the everyday shotgun before WWI. Considering how much space black powder takes up, it makes sense.

The whole restriction on bore size really is backward. We should be encouraged to put as many pellets in the air to insure killing birds rather than wounding them.

6. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

^^^ This. pellets at 1500FPS are pellets at 1500FPS.... Bore size matters where? I think the fact that they can hold larger payloads of large shot, which will travel further, is the key - but 3.5-inch 12's hold pretty much the same as a 10 and are way harder on the shooter.

JP, magnumyammerhammer and jamescd1 like this.
  7. Trevi

Trevi Senior Refuge Member

8. Jim Atlas

Not for waterfowl, but perhaps for upland or deer? You can use anything on a coyote...

9. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

On the flip side you can purchase 24 ga. and 32 ga. shells in the US.

10. oskar

oskar Senior Refuge Member