8 gauge shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Apr 7, 2021.

1. magnumyammerhammer

magnumyammerhammer Senior Refuge Member

Yeah that's probably true, but a .410, in my opinion, is not the best gun to teach a kid wingshooting either. Light 20, or even a 28, would be better. But that's just my thoughts.

Tuleman likes this.
  2. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

In my cache of pics is a refuge member holding an 8 gauge.

3. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

The 3.5" 10 gauge has a larger payload than the standard 8 gauge hull.

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Little kids with little crack-barrel .410s scare crap outta me, but their dads seem to think it a neat combo.

magnumyammerhammer and Fogie like this.
  5. magnumyammerhammer

When you're hunting with a kid with one of them, you want to keep them right in front of you and close so you can grab the barrel.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Back when I was running white spreads, I hunted a group that included a little boy with a little crack-barrel he'd wave around and whose father would tell him to **** (good grief: starts with "c" and rhythms with "sock") the hammer/safety every time a goose crossed the horizon, so I re-positioned the boy next to me and took over cocking and un-cocking duties. Which went well until one of the adults lost his water and chipped a single we were "all going to let the boy shoot". It wobbled off behind us, I released the dog and had turned to watch the chase, when "WHAM!!!"

Thought I'd been shot, but only lost my hat to the discharge's gas or concussion, when the little fellow tried to let the hammer down himself, and it got away from him. Have since absolutely hated short little crack-barrels and been disappointed with fathers who think they need to start their kids on them before they're old enough to handle longer and safer youth models. And that's without even considering how unfair it is to start kids with something few of their dads could hit squat with.

magnumyammerhammer likes this.
  7. magnumyammerhammer

Man, Rick, you were damn lucky.
    I agree. Kids don't have the strength or experience to be using something like that. The hammers on those are pretty stiff, and when little fingers get cold they are even harder to handle.
    My dad started me with a little Savage Fox 20 gauge side by side, and that tang safety was sure nice.

8. 15thTN

15thTN Elite Refuge Member

I started dove hunting with a Stevens 20ga single shot with a hammer. I was always within reach of my Dad, and don't recall any problems doing so. Being curious, and excited about hunting.I spent alot of time practicing pulling the hammer back, and letting it off safely.

Was well drilled on barrel safety, and if I had messed up, I would've got a good slap, or kick. So, I was well motivated not to do something stupid.

Funny thing was that gun kicked like a mule. I had a dove coming at me straight on. I did my best to lead it, and when I shot it turned me, and the ice chest I was sitting on, all the way over. :l

It was good experience in some ways, but I don't think I would start a kid on one. A 20ga kicks almost as much as a 12ga pump. It can definitely be unsafe if the parent doesn't stress gun safety, and take over the duties of letting the hammer down. All the while keeping the barrel pointing in a safe direction. Much easier to use a pump, or auto. Can load one shell at a time, and easily made safe.

One of my uncles while a teenager (16-17) had Winchester 97. While letting the hammer down almost hit another uncle in the leg. Blew a hole in the blind floor. Accidents can happen with hammer guns, at any age.

9. Jim Atlas

Jim Atlas Senior Refuge Member

20 ga 1100, and a boy big enough to use it. Best of both worlds.

10. Bigshootss

Bigshootss Senior Refuge Member

I don’t hunt with anyone named Olie or a hammer gun. Almost been shot by AD’s by both numerous time.