870 20 gauge chokes

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Jan 14, 2021.

1. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

Looking at finally getting a choke for my youth 870 20 gauge. Not a full build out yet, but an alternative to my 28" barreled SX3.

I'm seeing chokes ranging from .550 at the tightest in the Tru Glo SSX to about .575 at the loosest which comes in a number of flavors. Wondering where some of you guys that run 20 gauge Remingtons have landed for choke diameter, especially out of the 21" barrel.

Thanks for any help!

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

You are in luck! I just sold my 870 Compact with a 21” barrel and was planning on advertising two turkey chokes today. I have a Primos TightWad .570 and Carlson Turkey .575 for sale. Both of these are one year old with very few shots fired through them, only enough to check the pattern and one through the Carlson to kill last years bird. Go to oldgobbler.com and read recommendations for chokes in the 20 gauge section. You will find the Carlson .575 one of the most recommended. Patterns on the TightWad were almost as good for me. I will ship them both to you for $40. image.jpg

3. SkolMNDuckHunter

Sent you a pm

4. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

Dead at 37 yards with Hevi-13 #7’s. (Can’t use 9’s in Iowa or I might have tried tss.) BD1FE87D-8665-4944-88BD-E48520A1AD3E.jpeg

5. COHonkers

COHonkers Refuge Member

Others I would highly recommend looking at are Indian Creek .565 and SumToy Customs .562

I shoot both out of the exact same gun.

6. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Senior Refuge Member

I have a .555 Indian creek and its really good with apex #8 in a 870 compact

7. SkolMNDuckHunter

I'm going to start with the Tight Wad .570 and Carlsons .575 (thanks 2eagles!)

With the Hevi $10/box mail in rebate I was thinking of trying some Hevi-13 #7 for $3 a pop before diving into tss at $8 a pop.

Anyone else using the Hevi 7s? I see 2eagles had some luck with them at 37 yards which is about where I plan to be inside of anyway.

Luigi Daniele and 2eagles like this.
  8. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Senior Refuge Member

I had better luck with hevi 7 vs hevi 13. Mag blend is decent also

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have a .555 Carlson and a .560 Kicks. The Kicks is in the gun, but I will be re-patterning them side by side again soon to see what I like better with some HTL stuff I have.

10. SkolMNDuckHunter

Which shells are you trying? I'm really interested in the Hevi 7s based on reading on other forums. Way cheaper than TSS for doing pattern testing, and it seems that the mag blends aren't really necessary based on kill reports from the straight 7s.