A few recent hunts

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by woodieblaster, Jan 12, 2014.

1. woodieblaster

woodieblaster Elite Refuge Member

It is depressing to come back on this forum these days, this place is a morgue.

Anyway, Went out with Hunt n' fish and a non-refuge guy on a broadbill/squaw shoot yesterday. The scaup worked perfectly, and by 7:30 we had our limit. After that we spent the morning trying to pick off some squaw and scoter. The sea ducks weren't cooperating too much in the morning, but once the fog set in thick they started dumping perfectly. Mike also connected with an elusive hen red-breasted merganser, had to lay that prized trophy across the top of the days catch!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few pictures from after we limited on bluebill. I wish I didn't sell my $1,200 camera lens. These were just taken with my samsung galaxy S3 phone. There was a large flock of 50 or so that I should have had on video, but didn't think about it until they were long gone. Plenty of pairs and singles too that landed in the rig unscathed. Too bad it isn't a 4 bird limit this season!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. woodieblaster

We also went out during the Long Island "Blizzard". Being from the Greater Buffalo area, I got a pretty good kick out of the local definition of a snow storm.

Drive to the ramp:
    [​IMG]

Decoy spread:
    [​IMG]

While the water looks like glass, there was a good 20 kt wind at our backs.

Again the bluebills worked perfectly:
    [​IMG]

And continued to work long after we limited. The picture is deceiving, they were at most 15 yards from us. They would swim the head of the rig, go to sleep, the wind would push them about 30 yards out, and they'd start the process all over again. It was pretty fun to listen to their vocalizations so up close and personal.
    [​IMG]

3. woodieblaster

4. Diver Hunter 2

Diver Hunter 2 Refuge Member

Congrats on some good hunts the fog was really helpful yesterday we got 3 mallards and a goose because of it.

5. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

Looks like you had a great season! Great job posting the greater vs lesser photo's. It amazes me how many people don't know how to tell the difference.

You get a lot of Lessers this year? We shot several. Prior to this year I had only shot 1 in 30 years of hunting. I wonder if their numbers are on the increase or if there were more around due to the cooler weather.

6. 1bigduck

1bigduck Senior Refuge Member

I see the difference in the bill and tooth, what are we looking at in the wing, the amount of white. Sorry just started diver hunting a couple of years ago and didn't know the difference. are the greaters head exclusivly green and the lesser purple or is that not true?

7. tomr

tomr Elite Refuge Member

The most common mistake people make is using size and head color to make an identification. While there are subtle differences in the bills of each bird and as a general rule Greaters have green heads and Lessers have Blue/purple heads. These characteristics alone are not a reliable way to properly ID each species.

The most reliable way to tell the difference between a Greater and Lesser Scaup is to look at where the white stops in the wing.

If the white stops in the secondaries it's a Lesser. If the white continues into the primaries past the secondaries its a Greater. It's about the only way to tell with hens.

Hope this helps you. Welcome to the world of divers!!!

8. cwa1104sab

cwa1104sab Elite Refuge Member

congrats, sounds like you had a good hunt.

9. benelli12bore

benelli12bore Senior Refuge Member

How did you ever get to the ramp those conditions look terrible.

Cool pics thanks for sharing. I like the greater vs lesser.