A-Frame Blind Advice and Other Life News

CapnJim

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
It’s been quite a year and change. Lots has happened since last on the site.
Got divorced at 60 and starting over has not been fun. Lost my hunting partner(cousin) of 40 plus years to a 23-year bout with cancer. Had never not had him in the blind on all of our trips.
Last June 30th after 37 years in education the school district sent me home and told me I was retired, etc. I spent the last ten months aimlessly moving on from day to day. I did squirrel away some funds and did a solo drive to Saskatchewan last October and met the crew that came by plane and freelanced for nine days. Then repeated the trip back with some side tracks. Took 3 trips to the top of the OBX at Currituck with the same guide(Perry Wood Beasley) my cousin and I have hunted with for nearly 35 years. Finally, ventured out to West Tennessee to hunt with Jody, LB, and Andy of Purple Hayes Guide Service in Gates. It was the last place my cousin and I hunted together. They understood and helped make it memorable.
Anyway, I know I’m rambling, but realizing the sun does come up tomorrow helps to cope.
I’m actually employed again now as an inshore fishing guide and that has kept me busy. Reading the different forums is therapy so thanks to all.
BACK TO THE A-FRAME QUESTION
My crew is looking to purchase two A-frames for up to 8 “gentlemen” to use across the border. We keep a trailer up there so storage is not an issue.
What are your suggestions as we have zero experience with them?
Thanks in advance. Jim

Dr Swane

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Avian X aframe is tough to beat. But We’ve been using those and Tanglefree panel blinds for 6+ seasons now. We have multiple sets of both. The 2 aframes when opened up and clipped together can hunt 8guys comfortably.

The Lucky Duck is bigger, but takes a little to set up. Final Approach is a round tube metal (avian is square tube) and flimsy in comparison. Rogers looks similar to final approach. I picked up a replacement avian aframe for $225 this end of season. Aframes are better suited for high winds, unless you compare them to the Tanglefree panels with stabilizers. We never hunt the stabilizers, but use large spring clamps to hold the panels together

CapnJim

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dr. Swane.
Sounds like you know!!!!

HaydenHunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
CapnJim,

Can't help you with A Frame advice but I am sorry to hear about all of your setbacks and hope the next year presents you with more joy in your life. If you ever feel like a trip out west you are welcome to share a blind with me and my fellow 60-something friends.

Respectfully,
Hayden

wtrfwlr43

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I concur with Dr Swane. I have an Avian X and The full Tanglefree panel blind (front and back panels). I have buddies that have both. I prefer the Avian X. 2 Avian Xs together are awesome. With some practice you can set them up pretty quick.
Tanglefree Panel Blinds do NOT like strong winds. Unless you buy their crossstop braces or their new brace that holds the blind up in high winds :mad:. All for additional $$$. Poorly engineered the 1st time.

chessydogs

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
A frames will work just fine. They work even better if you make sure the brush/cover close over the top gap of the frame especially when birds are working high.

Divorce later in life is expensive. The trade offs in freedom and opportunity are more than worth it! Been there and came out the other side a lot happier!

metalworx

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Divorce later in life is expensive. The trade offs in freedom and opportunity are more than worth it! Been there and came out the other side a lot happier!
So have I. My ONLY regret was not doing it sooner!!!

CapnJim

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
CapnJim,

Can't help you with A Frame advice but I am sorry to hear about all of your setbacks and hope the next year presents you with more joy in your life. If you ever feel like a trip out west you are welcome to share a blind with me and my fellow 60-something friends.

Respectfully,
Hayden
Thanks Hayden.
That means a lot. Jim

CapnJim

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Setbacks are just comebacks in disguise.
The sun rose today.
Thanks again. Jim

Drundel

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have the FA SUB. I've only ever hunted out of a Lucky Duck on a guide hunt and I can't really give feedback on how well it holds up.

Check out some videos on the FA. I like how it has pockets to hold brush better and you can use it as a panel blind in flat (or flat-ish) ground.

Latest posts