Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

A Frame Blinds: Avian X vs. Altan vs Dakota

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by captaininsano050, Jul 17, 2019.

1. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

Anyone have experience with more than one of these? I really like how the Dakota requires no assembly but I'm not liking how they are charging double the other two. Obviously the Altan blind is a bit cheaper and not as pricey a brand as Avian but how does quality compare?

I'm mainly hunting lake points and banks, so maybe I should just build a fixed blind. I do like the idea of a portable blind for goose fields, lake/river banks but I'm just wondering what anyone else thinks. Thanks.

2. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I would personally be looking at two Tanglefree panel blinds over an A frame, much more portable with less pieces but the same basic functionality as an A frame.

I got a nice deal on their Solo
    blind and haven’t used it in the field yet but think it will work really nicely, I love that it can be folded flat with grass in it for easy transport in my boat or by hand.

JP likes this.
  3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Ditto. I have the Tanglefree and the Avian X. The Tanglefree sets up quick and in some respects stores easier, than the Avian X.

JP likes this.
  4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Have the Avian and tanglefree. Each has its place but both are way better than lying on froze ground. Both are really well constructed and no issues with frame or material.

5. captaininsano050

captaininsano050 Senior Refuge Member

The Tanglefree panel blind means 2 panels right? So $600 total?

6. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

^^ if you want/need a front and back, yes. We just put in front of standing brush.

7. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

The guys I hunt with have 6 of the Tanglefree panel blinds and they work well in both field and shoreline applications.

If the OP hunts with no more than three guys at a time, taking two of the Solo blinds and putting them together in a circular fashion, eliminating the right angle profile that is so unnatural.

I just purchased two of them and will give it a run come November.

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Rogers has their own branded blind out now similar to avian x but slightly longer and 2" higher on walls. Aluminum frame w/600 denier fabric. Cheaper price also.

jliffrig and Mean Gene like this.
  9. GetDuck

GetDuck Elite Refuge Member

we have 8 of the TF panel blinds. they work well but you need a set of the lids to go with them. if you watch the TF sire, they frequently put the panel blinds on sale. on the cricks and rivers; we just panels in front because you have a "backing" out in the fields; we use panels for front and backs. for the field applications; you will also want the cross support bars to help hold them together in high winds

10. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

everyone i know who runs A frames has sold in the last two years and went to red neck due to the front drop down door and stability in wind. They also have a kick *** 3 legged seat most comfortable and adjustable i have seen. Not affiliated with them by any means just like their gear.