A frame in chisel plowed wheat field

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by snowgooseman, Mar 27, 2021.

1. snowgooseman

snowgooseman New Member

Anyone tried this in the middle of a wheat field? Do you brush it up to look like a clump of weeds or add whatever wheat stubble to it .

2. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

We put panels/frames in the middle of any type of field for ducks, and geese. Lightly tilled or chiseled, sod, snow (we mostly use snow covers then, unless it’s patchy). Try to match the brush with similar colors, but sometimes, that’s not always a factor 0D6DD06B-F2BD-469E-A96A-EEBFC01E3215.jpeg

Fogie likes this.
  3. Fogie

Fogie Senior Refuge Member

Lordy..I'm happy getting my "quota" goose a year, ecstatic to get more.
    Maybe I'm lucky to be happy with one goose a year?..

4. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

I only hunt fields and hunt solo a lot. I rarely use anything but my A-frame. I'm getting too old for layouts lying on cold ground. I have great success using my a-frame in fields. If possible I'll tuck it along cover of some kind even if it means being off the X by a few yards but if it's not possible to find cover then on the X it goes. One thing I do too is if I have a field with lots of rolls or any kind of low spots or depressions I place it in them with a slope behind it so it blends in better from the birds approach to the decoys. I will also grab some of the stubble off the field if any is available and try to colour it up to match if the field is freshly harvested. If not then there is no point picking up stubble that is dull on the top weather exposed surface and bright yellow on the underside. You end up looking like a gold nugget in a field of pale tan. I have the Cabela's Northern Flight mats attached to my blind and I weave and zip tie in place a bunch of long grass(weeds) as my main cover. As the season progresses and tops break off the grass I replace them. The biggest factor with the A-frame is closing in the top as much as possible. If the birds see that open hole they will swing wide but if you put grass long enough to over lap and cover the top they will pass over close enough to hit them with your barrels and not even give the blind the slightest notice. My favourite thing though is placing it along the edge of a cattail choked slough. It's deadly when blended into that background and I am lucky in that we have lots of that type of cover in the fields we hunt.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
  5. snowgooseman

snowgooseman New Member

Excellent info 10ga. And Dr. S. Just picked up the Rogers A frame and hunt alot of wheat and chiseled plowed wheat in early season. Should be more comfortable on the back and neck than the layoyts.

6. Dr Swane

Dr Swane Senior Refuge Member

That Rogers looks like a copy of the FA. I haven’t seen either in person, but have heard good reports on the design of the FA. Guys have said it’s a better design than the aframe. Let us know how you like it, and share your photos of it brushed. Share your field successes with it too! Enjoy!

brush your doors heavy, and top cover, keep extra bundles zip tied to replace or add to the broken brush.

I’ve seen guys lay burlap over the top, sheet of underlayment with brush (works to keep out of the mud too if on the ground), or just criss crossed brush bundles. Make it look as asymmetrical as possible, it will break up any outline. And if you’re able to hunt cut corn, rake and rake bundles of fluffy stubble all around it. We basically hide the entire blind(s) along a hillside in fields like that.

QuaaackerJack and 10ga.crazy like this.
  7. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Corn fields here are silage corn or left standing for swath grazing. In a silage field there isn't much left to hide in so I usually set up an edge or find a clump of missed standing corn to set up as cover for one side of the blind then gather up as many missed or flattened during the harvest stalks as I can and weave them into the blind pockets. That pic is two blinds end to end, my A-frame on the right and my buddies tanglefree panel blind on the left.
    fe4ca02f-7c7b-49f0-977c-1bce9694f2c8.jpg

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  8. Click

Click Senior Refuge Member

We run permanent a frames in some of our fields here. We built hard sided ones and put em out at the start and pull em in the spring. We are typically in traffic fields that are usually an X for several weeks each. We set up in the wide open in , bean stubble, winter wheat and corn stubble that's been tipped over using evergreen trees for brush. Works like a charm.

QuaaackerJack likes this.