A lucky day

Discussion in 'Florida Flyway Forum' started by duckmanJR, Nov 25, 2019.

1. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

But with a little sadness....

So I hunted with my son today..... A nice pair of drakes.

[​IMG]

Got home and had to go over to a family friends of 6 decades house. He's 78 and wanted to give me some duck hunting " stuff ". His son who passed away 4 years ago ( at 45 Y/O ) was the first person besides my son I mentored in duck hunting. It was many years ago and my son viewed him like a cousin. I had been given his stuff a couple years back....I know it was a need to get rid of that stuff...far too painful for elderly parents to see it . I forwarded them on to a hunter I know and his son & nephew....decoys are worthless unless hunted over. My brother who was his duck hunting buddy back in the day on the south shore of long island went with me...and my son met us there. We talked about "old hunts of the past" but Dick wanted to get to digging out.." The stuff"
    First was a very cool little duck boat he built...Fiberglass with side mount gun racks and multi section "duck boards" to keep you out of the bilge and dry. Was a bitch getting it out and was heavy AF...loaded into the bed of my truck with my bed extender.

[​IMG]

stern view

[​IMG]

Bow view

Then...went to the shop and he gave me a cool little 3 HP mid 1960's Johnson...with the " ducktwin " lower unit ( angled... weedless prop etc)

Then my son climbed into the loft and drug down these

[​IMG]

40 hand carved heads with foamer bodies...cedar keels...made in 1986...part of the rig to hunt with his departed son with. They are all rigged with hand cast weights. some still have a few "character" holes in the foam.

2. duckmanJR

duckmanJR Senior Refuge Member

Then, He digs out some hand carved teal foamers (unpainted) and some hand carved ceders (unpainted) They are nice...you can see them inside the boat.
    Then, he gave me 20 unfinished foamer bodies with ceder keel base installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I already gifted the unfinished blanks out to a friend who does hand made dekes...

A pretty big score for me....and my son....but has a little wistfulness ...an old guy handing off some treasures.....

swat1018 and Ramblingman like this.