A400 xtreme plus owners

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by creedsduckman, Dec 3, 2019.

1. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I picked one up today just to see how it felt. I really liked it. The one thing that really stood out to me though was the oversized bolt handle. For you guys that have one do you find that bolt handle distracting?

2. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Yes, distracting .... from a visual stand point. Looks butt azz you-glee to me so I bought the standard a400. That said, I can see it being helpful in the colder climates where thick gloves are the norm. Would greatly assist in opening the action quickly. But don’t know if it gets caught up in stuff more often than a regular gun.

3. creedsduckman

What are the differences in the standard and the plus? I know the oversized bolt handle and release button. What else? I would imagine that big handle would catch on plenty of stuff.

4. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Not in the slightest. My visual focus is out towards the bird. Sporting Clay's shooters have been using those oversized bolt handles on their guns for 15 years. Surprised it took thing long for them to put them on hunting guns.

creedsduckman likes this.
  5. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I haven't hung the X large bolt on anything. Shot it out of panel blinds, layout blinds, pit blinds, in all conditions and to date haven't got it hung up on anything even call lanyard. Don't even realize it is oversized. Not sure how it is distracting as I focus on bird and as gun is fit to me I barely look down the barrel and not going to see that bolt.

creedsduckman and mudhen like this.
  7. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

The Plus has a longer forcing cone, stepped rib, larger bolt handle and slammer button, cutout bottom based on 3 gun guns, and a few other small things that I can’t quite remember.

Extended bolt handles are nice to have, but I prefer the Briley ones looks wise so that’s what I use. I’ve used one for years and never had it catch on anything.

8. creedsduckman

I've picked one up a couple times because I've always liked how berettas feel. I'd never really paid attention to it before but for some reason it stood out to me yesterday.

9. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

That’s exactly what happened to me, picked one up and it came up like an extension of myself. Pointed great, perfectly balanced, exceptional feel. In other words, it was an exact fit. Had to have it!

After scouring the internet for pricing, I worked on my local gun dealer for what I thought was a great deal at 1300 which included a nice sling and a couple of Carlson extended non- tox approved chokes. I’ve seen several a400’s in the classified for not much more than a grand with little or no use. Go for it man, won’t regret it.

10. creedsduckman

You're really not helping!

10GAGENUT likes this.