Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

? About goose decoy floaters when duck hunting

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by bulldogeverett, Aug 14, 2013.

1. bulldogeverett

bulldogeverett Senior Refuge Member

I usually drag out 8 goose floaters with me when duck hunting, in the hopes we might entice any small groups of geese that might fly by to give us a look. I hunt with 4 dozen duck decoys in conjunction. I always struggle with where I should place them relative to the duck decoys and the hole? Any pointers?

2. dckhunter83

dckhunter83 Senior Refuge Member

In my opinion goose decoys will not have any adverse effect on decoying ducks. In fact sometimes a spread of goose decoys with a smaller amount of duck decoys will actually work better than a spread of only duck decoys. But on the other hand in some cases I feel that larger spreads of mostly duck decoys will make geese shy away.

3. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

+1 we have a late season hole on a river. Its only worth a crap when everything else has frozen. We had difficulty decoying ducks the next day I decided to try something different and drag along 4 dozen real geese i had just gotten for xmas. Kinda sucked carrying them over a mile but we did. Set a dozen ducks and 4 dozen geese. Every mallard we killed was hovering about 2 foot over those real geese. They didn't even flinch when we rose up on them.

I really think it is a visibility thing. Most of the time that day we didn't even have to call because the birds were already locked up when the turned the corner of the river. This is pretty typical with migrants also. Usually they end up committing to the first spread the see and most time in my experience there is very little you can do to change their minds.

4. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

As far as your question I usually set my goose floaters on the far outside on the down wind side. Rule of thumb I learned is geese will not cross ducks, but ducks all cross geese. Besides by putting the geese out on the end I am one of the most visible rigs. I settle for a longer crack at geese for the boosted amount of success in ducks committing to the rig.

5. drahthaarducker

drahthaarducker Elite Refuge Member

One of the best duck hunters in our area is retired and goes everyday of the season. He always kills ducks.

He always has goose decoys out. There is no arguing with success!

6. Brose

Brose Senior Refuge Member

Geese decoys should allways go down wind of ducks. Geese do not like to go over ducks when landing.

7. wtrfwlr43

wtrfwlr43 Elite Refuge Member

I'm with Nelliboy2, Geese do not want to land over ducks. I place goose floaters off to the side or downwind. If the goose decoys are downwind most of the time the ducks will skirt the edge of the goose decoys before hitting the duck decoys. We bank hunt lakes so we end up with a crosswind quite a bit. Goose decoys downwind, duck decoys farther upwind. You do not have to have a large seperation between the two. IMHO Goose floaters help with the ducks, bigger decoys = more visiablity from a distance and a more relaxed spread. We hunt lakes and ponds and get both geese and ducks.

Lived and Hunted in Virginia for a long time. At one point goose season closed for about 5 years. I called the game warden and asked if I could use goose floaters. He said yes, as long as we didn't shoot geese. Heck we didn't hardly ever see a goose during that period. The goose decoys were a great draw for ducks.

8. normmcclean

normmcclean New Member

Even with Dakota mallards and pro grades and full body mallards on the sandbar the ducks still finish right on top of the Honker decoys. I am at the point where I'm selling off duck decoys for more goose floaters. If you have a good amount of geese in the area the ducks eat up goose spread. Another little tip I use my goose call to hail far off ducks then drop back to my duck calls for finishing work. If your solid on a short reed you can really pull in some ducks. Just be prepared for the guys hunting a 1/2 mile upstream to be ticked that you were pulling in all the flocks that morning. Good luck

9. TOYE

TOYE Elite Refuge Member

I tend to do the opposite. I place about 40 goose floaters on the upwind side of the duck decoy spread. No problem killing geese. On the other hand, putting the geese on the downwind side cost us a lot of geese landing short. Geese ain't afraid of ducks.

10. adak

adak Refuge Member

The best duck decoys are GOOSE decoys.