Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Achilles Tendonitis

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by num70, Feb 3, 2019.

1. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies.
    J.Scott - Not sure at all. Would need to have some imaging done. I'sd like to avoid the hassle but it may come to that.
    J. Bennett - I usually get a good response from Aleve but it doesn't seem to be touching this for some reason. I've been icing and stretching/rolling and it does help, but it's temporary.
    Rubberhead - No. No antibiotics. I've got gut issues so it has to be really necessary for me to take an antibiotic. I really avoid them otherwise.
    It's funny because I don't run (I hate to). But I do squats 3x week. I'm thinking some of my tendons are reaching their expiration date. My Patella tendon is starting to make noise as well. But not like this Achilles thing. I'm actually pretty surprised at how much it hurts at times.

2. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

3. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Might want to try alternating the NSAID... if you’re taking Aleve (naproxen) twice a day, take it once a day and ibuprofen or acetaminophen once a day. There’s always the magic crystals...

You would be surprised at what can cause tendon issues. My problems are all from 20 or so years of competitive swimming. Most folks think of swimming as a low impact, relatively injury free sport... Pointing and flexing your feet and toes for hours at a time puts a lot of strain on the tendons in the feet and ankles. Launching off the blocks and pushing off the wall when coming out of a turn are killers too (I got a partial tear in my Achilles making a turn... there was an audible “pop” that I heard underwater). Then there’s the shoulder issues... Pretty much all sports/excercise require some repetitive motions... do enough of them and you will likely have some issues at some point.

4. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Boy, some of you guys are weird.
    You are only masking the symptoms with medications ---
    they aren't fixing anything and may make the problem worse.
    Do you think your malady was caused because you were NSAID deficient ?
    Fix the problem and not just cover up the symptoms.

5. pull-do

pull-do Elite Refuge Member

Going through this right now,, about 5 to 6 weeks ago, while sitting on my bed rolling my ankles,, to warm them or stretch them,, my left ankle "froze" I guess you'd say. Went to the doc the next day and he put me in a boot and crutches,, no pain meds, barretts esophagus, it was like I needed a zerk fitting on my ankle. I felt it the most on the achilles, after 2 weeks went to a ortho, got a MRI.

No tears, but lots of fluid, and he said my tendon's were very angry,,,, LOL, sounds like my wife. I'll start PT soon, but I ready to get this over with,,, being 70yrs old when you're off your cardio workout it takes a toll on you getting started again.

My ankle wouldn't work though to answer some questions and I wan't doing anything but "stretching the joint" getting ready for my little workout and then gym session.

6. Koots1

Koots1 Senior Refuge Member

I fought Achilles Tendonitis for so long that I developed scar tissue on both tendons. I have flat feet and that can be a contributor to the tendonitis. I had an outpatient procedure done that is called Tenex Fast which cleans up the scar tissue and in my case after a couple months of being a little sore from the procedure I am pain free. The procedure is simple and is actually done by a radiologist in most cases.

7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

No, do you think that his tendonitis was caused because he was laser deficient?

Yes, I am aware that there are studies which suggest that low-level laser can relieve inflammation and pain associated with tendonitis. In other words, you're just masking the symptoms with light. The studies that actually compare have found no significant difference in anti-inflammatory effect between the laser and NSAIDs, and that neither of them reduce inflammation as effectively as glucocorticoid steroids. Yes, I know of the study involving rats where the laser outperformed NSAIDs, but they were injected with the NSAID... of course the rat is going to produce more inflammatory response when you stick a needle (which proportionally is the equivalent of sticking a 10 penny nail into a human ) in it vs. shining a light on it.

How many treatments with the cold laser would you recommend for a moderate to severe case of Achilles tendonitis? Maybe 3 per week for the first 2 weeks, and tapering off to 1 or 2 per week for the next 4-6 weeks? How much does each treatment cost $50 or $60 (along with the cost of the vitamins and supplements that you sell him/her)? Walgreens sells a 600 count bottle of naproxen (Aleve) for $30.

Do NSAIDs have a risk of side-effects? Certainly, but when used short term and as directed, the risk associated with them is not statistically different than the risks associated with cold laser therapy (although since cold laser therapy most likely involves getting into a vehicle and driving to your appointment 2-3 times/week, the risk of dying in a car accident is greatly increased in patients who receive cold laser therapy).

Take-a-Gander likes this.
  8. sully

sully Elite Refuge Member

I had Achilles tendonitis a couple of years ago caused by a bone spur and a fall in the mud while hunting. Rest and ice and stretching helped. Dr put some heel wedges in my shoes and I got better.
    Last year after duck season I felt it again and used the same stuff but the pain continued until I stepped on some stuff in the dark and it got worse. I was still able to walk but a MRI showed a ruptured tendon in May. I wore a boot 24/7 for 8 weeks including at night. No surgery and it grew back.
    I was able to golf in September using a cart and hunt this last season but had to avoid sticky mud and I wore a good ankle sleeve to protect it. It will be considered healed after one year. I am able to walk a mile or two but I am cautious about overdoing it and hope to be walking on the golf course starting in May.
    I am 68 years old btw.
    If the pain persists I would recommend the boot and knee cart to avoid a rupture of course if your Dr agrees. Crutches are too hard to use but the knee carts are kind of fun. I didnt like sleeping in that but it was a better alternative than surgery.

9. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I had an acute bout of it once about 15 years ago. It was after a week of intense running, I was getting ready for a half marathon. I was doing a ton of speed work and thought I was invincible. MRI showed my achilles tendon was 2X the diameter of normal, edematous and stranding on MRI but no tears. In an elevated heel boot for 24 hrs/day, except showers and 800 mg of naproxen. I was a new man in 5 days. Wore the boot for 10 days even though pain went away after 5. Never had a problem with it since.

I think my real problem was that I was running on poorly fitted shoes. But that's a story for another time.

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Have you ever tried waving a stuffed otter in their face?

@num70 =

I have plantar fasciitis in my left foot. It flares up randomly and takes months to go away again. I feel your pain.

num70 and J.Bennett like this.