Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Achilles Tendonitis

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by num70, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Hunter/Gather

Hunter/Gather Elite Refuge Member

I think it is way past tendonitis now, but at one time it seemed to fit. So don't underestimate an Achilles injury.

Back in 04/05 I had tendon issues working, and taking off La Crosse knee boots I was wearing seemed to hurt more. That went on for a while,.. then a blow-up. Podiatrist had me stay off it, which was optional anyway, taking Celebrex and using an orthotic insert. That worked, with only mild flare after lots of walking for another decade+. That was until this August, when I stepped down off a log on that foot while directing an excavator in a stream. Didn't feel right, but not bad and kept working. It was sore that night. Worked the next day (I had equipment in a salmon bearing stream) and that night it went to hell. NSAIDs, ice and staying off it and it was improving after a few days. About a month later and I was back to where I couldn't put weight on it. MRI finally showed a 30% tear and repeated scarring and bone growth related. It obviously isn't going to heal by staying off it and I'm now waiting for authorization for surgical procedure. I've resigned to it, as I missed a whole season and don't want that kind of thing to keep happening.

2. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Elite Refuge Member

How long have you had it? Any injury or previous history of Achilles problems?
    As some others have said it could be do to foot alignment, it is often found in people with extremely pronated (flat foot).
    I have my patient’s stretch religiously, unless there is a tear or partial tear. MSK ultra sound can be used to diagnose a tear less expensive than MRI.
    There is no “Silver Bullet”. I will use, Ice, NSAIDs (no more than two weeks). Severe cases of straight tendonitis with no tear I will use a walking cast for 4-6 weeks. Oral burst of steroid can be useful as well. The Achilles doesn’t have a great blood supply so can be very slow to heal.
    Once you get it calmed down I recommend use of an orthotic to prevent reinjury
    PM me if you have any more questions.

J.Bennett likes this.
  3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

There are two or three dozen cold lasers on the market.
    Only two or three are actually therapeutic and not just palliative.
    Research study findings are dependent on the laser that was used in the study.

The average number of treatments in my office is 5 (seldom more).
    My fee is $40 per treatment. And where did you come up with vitamins and supplements
    that's quite a stretch --- even for you.
    Why would somebody need a bottle of 600 NSAIDS of any kind, where the directions say to NOT TAKE for over 5 days.

You sure come up with stretches of "fact" don't you.

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

All kidding aside, I sprained my ankle in August 2017... Never had an injury that did not heal relatively quickly, but this one still hurts at times, and I would say it was a couple months before I was dancing again... Today it rained, and I was thinking of you, cause my ankle just started hurting for no apparent reason. Bennett gave some good advice in mixing some of the NSAID's... For joint/tendon pain I tend to prefer Naproxen over the others (simply a personal preference).

Ice the hell out of it initially... Stretching becomes more important... I now stretch before pooping...

My upland boots not longer fit correctly on my left foot... I also had to quit the azz-kicking competitions... I have seriously had a couple incidences in which walking down the stairs, it seems my ankle was simply not there, and I learned what the purpose of the banister was...

Most of the time, I do not think about it, but cold or rainy weather, I am still reminded of that pain at times. I stretch it, and I have some type of NSAID in my truck (for any number of aches/pains) if I am doing anything physically demanding.

5. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Tendonitis is the inflammation of the tendons due to overuse or specific injury. In other words, reducing the inflammation is therapeutic and not "just palliative." I stated that there are several studies that suggest that low-level laser may be as effective as NSAIDs at reducing the inflammation of tendons. I have not discounted the therapeutic benefits of cold laser

So ballpark it's going to cost about $200 (not including any time off of work that someone might have to take to go to appointments).

So are you saying that you don't sell vitamins and supplements in your office?

So they can take 3/day for 10 days, throw the rest in the garbage and still be $170 ahead.

I've never seen those directions on a bottle of naproxen. That's quite a stretch, even for you.

Still haven't answered my question...
    And while you're answering that, you can explain to me how reducing inflammation of the tendon (AKA, tendonitis) with NSAIDs is "only masking symptoms," yet doing the same thing with a cold laser is not?

To be fair, I can definitely see how cold-laser would be beneficial in preventing it from happening again... If it costs $200 to treat it rather than $2.50, I'd sure be a lot more careful when doing activities that might re-injure it.

6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks again all for the replies.

Thanks, Take.
    I've had it about 3 weeks now. No history of Achilles issues at all.
    I'm icing and stretching 2x/day now.
    I have pretty high arches but have been wearing some new boots for about 6 weeks. Maybe not a coincidence.
    Thanks again for the insight.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

The stilettos will get ya' every time. I'm sure you look amazing in them though...

[​IMG]

stevena198301, sully and Wareagle1 like this.
  8. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

You need to click the "expand" button to read my responses.
    You need to figure out how to search articles from peer reviewed medical journals.:reader

9. A5Mag12

A5Mag12 Elite Refuge Member

A good 8" lace up boot.

10. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I only wear those to aerate the lawn.
    And yes, i do look nice.

Squaller likes this.