Decoy Forum Sponsors

Adding motion to decoys in salt water

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by yupitsnuge, Jan 14, 2022.

1. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge New Member

Besides for a jerk string which doesn’t work so well when in a kayak is there anything that lasts in salt water to add some motion to decoys? We’ve tried mostly mojos. They lost about 1-2 outings and they’re dead. The mojo ripplers seemed to do ok for a season but not much longer. Any other suggestions? We’re hunting saltwater tidal marsh.

2. reddogge

reddogge Elite Refuge Member

Maybe that one they covered on here with the 4 arms. It held 5 decoys and gave them lots of motion. I imagine it was operated by a jerk string.

3. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Elite Refuge Member

Quiver but types. Anything where there connectors exposed is a no go which you’ve figured out. I went with a floating mojo spinner. It’s small n low so it adds something but we don’t really hunt puddles. If we do. Jerk cord.

4. reddogge

reddogge Elite Refuge Member

5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Figure a way to make a jerk rig work or suffer frustration and buying replacements every year. It's that simple.

cprodave and Tuleman like this.
  6. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

This ^.
    As you know, salt water and electrics don't mix well.

You might try tying a baited fishhook to the front anchor point of a decoy, a really heavy anchor to the stern anchor point, and hope a medium-sized fish provides the movement....

widgeon likes this.
  7. Kola16

Kola16 Senior Refuge Member

I've used jerk strings from a kayak. What's the problem you are having? In WA we can't even use electic decoys so jerk strings are the bees knees!

Billy Bob likes this.
  8. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yep Ive been using jerk strings from my aquapod for years. Another thing most don't think of is that longer decoy lines allow for more movement. I was running 8 foot lines in 3 feet of water today. Lots of movement and white decoys flashing.

9. yupitsnuge

yupitsnuge New Member

How are you guys preventing your floating yak from pulling into decoys? We can’t anchor the yaks so only the far end of the jerk string has an anchor which is in 15’ water.

10. Kola16

Kola16 Senior Refuge Member

How do you keep your kayak from going anywhere? How do you keep it from getting taken away by the tide or the wind? I always just hide in grass sticking out of the water. If I wasnt hiding in grass, I would just use my kayak anchor system to anchor the back of my kayak. Super quick to deploy and pick up. And cheap. 7cc967d1b8b1352babaacadbfd3c8e30.jpg