Aerial Survey (TEAL)

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That pleasant little cool front screwed our pooch, and we've been doing our level best to educate what it didn't carry off ...

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
But this from Wisconsin: "We had the youth hunt this past weekend (which I will do another post on) and most of the birds they shot were (blue-winged) teal."

Jordan Vizinat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Know a guy who leases a rice field north of Lacassine. They limited out in about 5 min today, said it might have been the most Teal he’s ever seen in his life (he’s about 70 yrs old). Teal season this yr has been something of a mystery from every I talk to.

Still going give ‘em hell this weekend.

woodiefanatic

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
But this from Wisconsin: "We had the youth hunt this past weekend (which I will do another post on) and most of the birds they shot were (blue-winged) teal."
We lost a lot of teal Sept 3rd. We weren’t holding many at that time but enough. We did get a big push of them and other ducks around the 10-13th, seems like more than we had in early sept. I believe some of the refuges in IL picked up numbers of teal around that date as well. I’m sure plenty of bwt will be around for our opener on Saturday.

LADucks

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Still below average around here. This year looks to be a trip back to the real world. The two years prior to this were barn burners for us.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Mallard Lodge in Lacassine
That's a new one on me. Only area Mallard Lodge I'm aware of is at the east end of Pine Pasture Rd which most would likely call Sweet Lake. If it turns out to be the one I'm thinking of, tell Jeff I said "Hey." May not help, but shouldn't hurt.

Jordan Vizinat

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That's a new one on me. Only area Mallard Lodge I'm aware of is at the east end of Pine Pasture Rd which most would likely call Sweet Lake. If it turns out to be the one I'm thinking of, tell Jeff I said "Hey." May not help, but shouldn't hurt.

Pretty sure that’s it. Although on the map it looks to be closer to Lacassine NWR/ Bell City, than Sweet Lake.

I’ll pass it on.

Rick Hall

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure that’s it. Although on the map it looks to be closer to Lacassine NWR/ Bell City, than Sweet Lake.

I’ll pass it on.
I was thinking the town of Lacassine. You can, indeed, look across Lacassine Pool and see where Mallard Lodge cleared a piece of the Bell City ditch levee. Haven't hunted it, just pick their gator eggs, but from what Jeff's told me they generally kill a mess of teal.

Last edited:

Latest posts