Affordable 20 gauge semi auto??

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by xtrema2, Dec 7, 2021.

1. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

I emailed Remy yesterday as I want to add a 1100 sporting 20 to my collection. The email said they intend to produce the 1100 sporting series but could not comment when they would start production.

Fowler267, widgeon and stoneyhu717 like this.
  2. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I can only hope they will do a limited run in 28ga.

Fowler267, tripper and hamernhonkers like this.
  3. woodiefanatic

woodiefanatic Elite Refuge Member

Sounded like they will be doing 12, 20, 28, and .410. Time will tell

stoneyhu717 and Billy Bob like this.
  4. Mojo

Mojo Senior Refuge Member

As I see it, if the Mossberg came first, and the Tristar uses the same design, the Tristar IS a copy. I don't claim to know every Beretta, but I do not know of any that used the design of the Mossberg SA-20. I would be curious to know about such a gun. Armsan was just opened in 2006, only two years before they had the Mossberg SA-20 available on the market. The Beretta A400 Xplor is a relatively new release, and does not use the same action as the SA-20, so I'm not sure how the Mossberg could possibly be a copy of that. Additionally, you are now comparing a $1600 gun to a $400 gun. The OP requested an affordable option. As I stated earlier, I posted to help those who would come here for help, not to defend my purchases. Seems strange to claim the Tristar is essentially the same gun as the SA-20, yet a Tristar did function with 7/8 oz loads and an SA-20 didn't. The weight difference between the two models is substantially different (nearly 3/4 lb), perhaps your shooting form was related to your issue. It would be futile and non-productive to argue the reliability of some models with a poster that has an obvious distaste for one particular gun, as you seem to. I tend to shoot moderate to higher velocity loads in lead and steel, and moderate to lower velocity loads in TSS. If I recall, my dove loads were 3/4 oz of #9 lead at around 1375 fps - light recoil and still quite effective on dove, grouse and woodcock.

I've been here a long time, yet my post count is small, primarily because I try to limit my posts to information that will help others. Here's some helpful advice. If you truly want to know about the average reliability of shotguns - even those not relevant to this thread - you can search the internet for reports of failures in $1500+ shotguns with recoil tubes/springs in the stock, and compare it to the number of reports of cycling issues with recommended loads in the SA-20. Also, ask yourself why Sure Cycle and the many companies who have produced knockoffs of their stainless steel recoil spring system, have become a very successful business by creating an entire line of parts that have only one purpose, which is to modify the recoil spring and tube in guns so equipped. And why did Benelli eventually change their own models to an easier to remove and maintain stainless recoil tube and spring? The Benelli and Beretta inertia guns don't really have a great track record of reliability in the field, mostly due to the recoil spring tube. Lots of hunters have been extremely disappointed by their expensive purchase. I loved the 4 SBE's that I've owned throughout the years, since they were released by HK, I don't know of a single person that owned one before I did. But I've since discovered that there are better options for me now. In addition to all the attributes I've listed previously, compared to the Beretta and Benelli options, the SA-20 gives the shooter around $1000 in extra cash to spend on reloading equipment and TSS shot - which, when combined with a more reliable, easier handling, and lower recoiling gun, will help the shooter enjoy outstanding success and immense satisfaction. Few things in the hunting world are better than killing a goose with one shot of a load that I developed and loaded, and shot from my $400 Mossberg 20 ga with 2 3/4" ammunition, after the hunter standing next to me empties his $1600 3 1/2" 12 ga at the same geese. It's astounding.

widgeon, Billy Bob and NW BIRDHUNTER like this.
  5. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap:clap

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap:clap

7. stoneyhu717

stoneyhu717 Senior Refuge Member

According to mossberg’s site the youth bantam Sa-20 is 6.2lbs which is exactly what mine weighed, not 5.5lbs. Neither Mossberg, nor Tristar make the Sa-20 or Viper G2. Both companies simply import them. They are both made by Armsan, so neither is a copy of the other. Just a rebadged version of the same gun. Much like the Beretta A303 and Browning B80.

the reason there are more posts about cycling failures of guns with recoil springs in the stock is because there are vastly more out on the market than those with a return spring around the mag tube. I don’t dispute that it’s an easier design to clean and maintain. However, the return spring in the stock is not something that has to be maintained more than once every few thousand rounds, or if the gun is dropped in water.

Im still curious about what the speed is of the 3/4oz loads you shoot. I read about guns shooting 3/4ox loads all the time, but the poster always fails to report the speed of the load. A 3/4oz load traveling at 1500fps will have more gas pressure than a 7/8oz load at 1200fps.

I agree with you that a $400 20 gauge shotgun will drop game just as well as a $1600 3.5” 12 gauge will with the right ammo btw.

Tuleman likes this.
  8. stoneyhu717

stoneyhu717 Senior Refuge Member

I failed to address the question about the Sa-20 being a copy of a beretta design. The bolt, dual action rod, and return spring assembly was utilized by Beretta in the 391 Xtrema long before the Sa-20 was introduced. There’s also the Beretta owned Franchi 620 and 720 Raptor. Gas guns that utilized the same style bolt assembly and return spring setup.

9. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

Find yourself a good used Beretta 391 in 20 gauge. It will cycle whatever you run thru it. My Teknys will eat light reloads by the hundreds before any cleaning of internals. Come hunting season stuff it with any load you want and it just keeps going

creedsduckman and stoneyhu717 like this.
  10. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

While I whole heartedly agree with your recommendation, he asked for an affordable 20. Finding a used 391 in 20 in semi decent condition is not a sub $1000 deal.

stoneyhu717 likes this.