After Market choke tubes?

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Fowler267, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Joe Hunter

Joe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Some pros and cons of extended choke tubes include:

1) extended tubes are usually easier/faster to change (usually no wrench needed),

2) most extended tubes have the choke/constriction printed on the exposed portion (visible when installed) while some flush tubes don’t have notches to indicate choke constrictions when installed,

3) extended tubes provide muzzle protection from possible muzzle damage (dint) that could make choke removal or instillation difficult,

4) extended tubes provide additional length which allows for the possibility of different choke geometry and design (ramp angle and length, choke angle and length, parallel section length, porting and endless marketing gimmicks) which may or may not provide improved performance,

5) extended tubes usually weigh more than flush tubes which may or may not be a good thing for your gun’s balance,

6) some shooters think the extended tubes look cool and some like the traditional uncluttered look of flush tubes, and

7) extended tubes are generally more expensive (the choke makers like that).

None of this means extended choke tubes work/perform "better" (whatever that means to you) than flush chokes. It really depends on the kind of performance you need/want from your chokes and loads for your type of hunting/shooting. However, if you aren't going to take the time to pattern them properly (with the ammo you use) to find out how they really perform then it doesn't really matter, just use what you like.

Good luck!

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator

They look cool. They also allow you versatility in choke sizing. I use a SK1 choke that wasn't a factory option. Some manufacturers will even do custom constrictions, ie. Sk0.5, which has 0.0025 inch constriction. I've tried a few brands and have switched to Trulock due to outstanding results with their chokes in the field.

3. GulfCoast

GulfCoast Moderate Moderator Moderator

Buy this book. Read it. Then pass it around to your shooting buddies. Seriously. You will know more about chokes and performance, and what does and does NOT effect patterns than the snake oil salesmen trying to part you and your money at BigJiggyChokezz. https://www.amazon.com/Sporting-Shotgun-Performance-Measurement-Optimisation/dp/0956662706

P.S. I like extended chokes basically because they protect the barrel crown, and good extended chokes don't require me to put on reading glasses to know what's in the gun. YMMV.

Fogie, Fowler267, oleww and 2 others like this.
  4. Putz463

Putz463 Senior Refuge Member

As mentioned, similar to anything choke/pattern related it needs to be proven with your particular combination. That shared, I use extended in any gun shooting steel. Patterns are by and large better due to the longish parallel section after restriction that I'm convinced works especially for long (IMO=40yrd+) range hunting. Also I enjoy knowing the restriction is mostly beyond the end of the barrel/threads. Of the couple tubes I've had deform/bulge/expand through the years the threads didn't get effected...thank you extended choke tubes!!

dog duck gun and OneShotBandit like this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

The comments about extended chokes protecting the end of the barrel make me cringe. I definitely DO NOT want to hunt with anybody worrying about that. How unsafe are you guys??? Someone will say "accidents happen". If that's the case you may want to rethink how you hunt and what safety means.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Cringe away.

Hunt was over. Guns were empty. We were out picking up dekes. Dog knocked over my Wards Revelation 20ga SxS, into the cement wall of the blind. End of one barrel got dented.

Since the gun was old school lead choked, I went old school and cut it off at the next vent rib connection. Perfect for steel now.

7. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

This is the kind of BS I'm talking about. There are exactly 0 reasons for things like this to happen other than irresponsibility and or laziness.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Ok

OneShotBandit likes this.
  9. Fogie

Fogie Elite Refuge Member

Have bashed my muzzle many times...quail, chukar, snowcock, ducks. Can't hunt hard without doing it once in a while.

Fowler267 likes this.
  10. NW BIRDHUNTER

NW BIRDHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

You forgot ice. One time I was Pheasant hunting during a hard freeze, I slipped while crossing a frozen creek. Put a ding on the end of my barrel. Luckily my gunsmith was able to remove it. If I would have had an extended choke tube in, it wouldn't have happened.

Fogie likes this.