Ahhhhh. Grouse season is back

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Native NV Ducker, Sep 2, 2019.

1. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

(I said this somewhere, maybe here, but don't remember)
    Talked to my wife about your advice. She just looked at me like an idiot, and said, "Why don't you just go across the street and put some decoys in the river, where you train her?"
    Well, there is that, honey........

So, today I took both dogs to the river, where there is a little backwater across from the house. She went with me as I put the dekes out. She just smelled them, and kept walking around, waiting for me to toss dummies. Walked back 15 yards and tossed. She could have cared less about the decoys. Never gave em a 2nd thought.

So, crisis averted.

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

In water my dog hates the decoys. I have no idea why. So, I leave a path for him to swim through. :l

3. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I have never had the problem, so I don't know why I was concerned. I just want this Youth Hunt to go perfectly.

4. enzinn

enzinn Senior Refuge Member

My younger dog gets so worked up at the start of a hunt, he would retreive a solid brick of lead if it could float. He usually doesn't settle down until after the first retreive. Prior to that the decoys serve as a minor distraction, but he usually presses on because of the training (I think...who actually knows what the hell is going through his mind).

The young hunter will be in hog heaven no matter what happens. Just being out in the country or wetlands with an experienced hunter was exhilarating to me in my first few hunts. The sounds of the marsh, the layout and blind work and the coffee while waiting for sunrise revved my stoke off the scale. Connecting with one shot was just icing on the cake.