California Flyway Forum Sponsors

Air Scouting, Questions on Legality

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by jrin99, Jan 14, 2009.

1. jrin99

jrin99 Senior Refuge Member

The little photo shoot pictures on the board today got me thinking. Is it illegal to scout from the air around the refuges? I know that some specific wildlife areas have no fly zones, but not sure about the ones that we hunt. Besides just having to stay above 500 agl or away from certain objects on the ground is there any other FAA or other aviation rules that pertain to state and federal duck hunting areas in California

2. Tree Doc

Tree Doc Elite Refuge Member

There are no "no fly zones" over the refuges. If you study a sectional you'll find these wildlife areas outlined and a standard minimum altitude of 2000' AGL requirement.

3. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

You are correct Sir :tu....I have never flown the refuges, but have flown several other areas that I found it easier to isolate prime hunting areas form the air rather than spending 100's of hours finding the needle in the haystack on the ground or in a boat. I'm sure KB could add allot more info on this subject, he has allot of hours in the air under his belt...........

4. Brown Tule Dog

Brown Tule Dog Senior Refuge Member

I welcome the airplanes from time to time. Our group has had some great shooting during survey flights at the fuge. :yes

5. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Nah, flying low and scaring birds is against the law, risky too.

Depends where your at and how long you want to lose your ticket, although you can ask for special clearance to take photo's for land owners.

With Google earth you can do most scouting from your desk top.

A bunch of rats owe me some really good shooting.

If you think you can get into trouble flying low over a refuge, just see what happens when you encroach on Travis air space. They are a bit too touchy for my taste.

Personally I can't even see ducks on the water unless your lower than 1000 ft.

---------kevin---------

6. LHudson

LHudson New Member

The 2000' AGL notation on the sectionals is nonregulatory. The notation says "Pilots are requested to maintain a minimum altitude of 2000' AGL". A pilot won't be in violation of FAA regulations for flying lower but might be accused of hazing if he does (A Fish and Game violation).

Interestingly,in the North Valley, only Sac, Delevan and Colusa are charted that way. The State areas don't have the little blue dots around them.

I routinely fly to Colusa for cheap avgas. When approaching and departing the airport it's very easy to be below 2000' AGL over the refuge.

7. Tree Doc

You'll also find areas listed with a higher minimum. Down here in my neck of the woods on the Los Angeles Sectional between the Morro Bay and Fellows VORTAC you'll see the Condor Sanctuary with a 3,000' request.

8. Brown Tule Dog

Brown Tule Dog Senior Refuge Member

Just last week I had a little Super Cub fly over the blind at about 80 yards and then they looped over LDC a couple times then went on their way. After that had me curious about how low can they go. I would be scared I would spook a flock on the water and they would fly into the props.

9. Tree Doc

Bright yellow, real nice shiny paint job with big-*** Tundra tires?

10. AzSprig

AzSprig Elite Refuge Member

That's the one