Airboats on the dikes

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by freepunk, Dec 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freepunk

freepunk Refuge Member

Let me start off by saying I am not an airboat/mm hater. I use a small boat and think airboats look like a great time. If I had the money I might even think about getting one. But I did have an issue on a hunt I had last weekend and I would like to see what you guys think.

Were I hunt it takes me about 1 1/2 to 2 hours to get out there in the snow right now(6+ miles). Airboats can get within 25 yards of where I hunt without crossing or riding on any dikes.

While I was hunting out there last weekend I heard one coming up behind me and really didnt think anything of it until I saw them cruising down the dike on the snow. Usually airboats will pull near the dike and get off to go to the regular hunting spots. Thought driving on the dikes might not be legal but called up the CO and according to him they were not breaking any laws.

So was the CO in the wrong? This has gotta be illegal I would think. I don't want this thread to turn into a Airboat vs. MM vs. Foot soldier thread. Just want to know the facts and rules on Airboat use in the marsh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

If you are talking about the CO who handles FB and South Davis County - then he has selective memory issues.

If I remember correctly it is illegal to operate an airboat within a waterfowl management area. If the airboat was on top of a dike - like the Turpin Bay dike - they would be operating the boat illegally - imho.

I have seen guys launch there airboats at this time of year and pull them up on the dike to pick people up - but as soon as the people got in the boat they headed out to the GSL.

3. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

I'm pretty sure it is against the law to get a boat up on the dike. If you see it, try to get a boat number or a picture and turn them in. Airboats are restricted to the GSL lake bed, they can't go inside a WMA without permission.
    Another thought: If you happen to see an airboat doing something illegal, and can get a picture or a description, please let me know, and the Airboat Association will try to find the culprit and have a chat.
    R

4. freepunk

freepunk Refuge Member

Updated with pics.

Couldn't read the numbers on it. Pics to blurry. The back blade on the boat had a goose or something drawn on the top left. Boat had a "Classic" logo on the side.

5. rjefre

rjefre Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the pics. I'll send this over to the Airboat Association website and see if we can get an ID. It makes all airboaters look bad when a few mess around like that.
    R

6. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Nice photos!!

7. Duckboy

Duckboy Elite Refuge Member

Just because you can, doesnt mean you have to:fp!
    I agree, now that one guys has done something wrong, there will be a sour taste for some time.
    Take his keys away!:clap

8. scooter

scooter New Member

We know who it is and R has the contact info to have a little chat with him. I could understand if you wanted to try to go up the dike in the summer just to see if your boat had the balls to do it, but with snow on it??!! That's not even a challenge. Either a show of ignorance or poor judgement. No matter the excuse it shouldn't happen. After tonight this guy will know that he can't do that any more. I even learned something new tonight too.

9. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Sounds like he may need to chat with the local CO, also. OTOH, he groomed the dike for those walk-ins with sleds.:)

10. DiverFreak

DiverFreak Elite Refuge Member

Thats a nice looking layout he has got in that boat!:dv

DIverFreak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.