Airbrush tips and tricks

Kumduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
On mixing/matching/adjusting oil base Rust-Oleum to run through the airbrush:
Is there a more efficient way than using my wife's kitchen measuring cups?

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
just make sure it's not her "pampered chef" stuff, trust me she will take a dim view of that.

What I use for just about everything from mixing paint, mixing rebound 25, mixing onyx plastic is the clear 9 oz. solo cups I get in packs of 50 at walmart. If I need accurate measures I put a board, 1"x1" behind the cups to get things fairly accurate for 50/50 mixes. For the most part in my mixes I have an idea of what colors I need to make it and use the sneak up on it method. When I'm doing the beige color on the back of a mallard right behind the head it's basically white mixed with brown. I might find out it's leaning a little pink, so I'll warm it up with some yellow. Sometimes it's leaning a little blue and I'll brown it down with some red. You can end up with quite a volume of paint sometimes trying to get it right, so unless having a bunch isn't a problem, I'd start small.

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I've been working on a bunch of decoys the last few days and thought it would be good to talk about the types of tips sizes. Since I only use a paasche vl, I will have to suppose that other brands are similar with the #1 tip being for very thin materials like inks, the #3 tip being for medium materials like lacquers and thinned oil based enamels and the #5 tip for heavier materials such as latex and thicker oil based enamel. I'm typically running a #3 tip, but today out of necessity had to put in a new cap, needle and tip in the #5 size. I'm not doing anything terribly detailed at the moment, but it occurred to me this is probably what those of you who just want a reasonable repaint option that is a little closer to blowing on a lot of color like a rattle can. I'm pleased with the way the #5 out of my paasche vl worked and will always have one of my three airbrushes running the bigger tip in the future for those big blown on areas.

Kumduck

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Once flocking is done, and giving the glue (Rustoleum) an adequate time to set, would you recommend vacuuming the deke to remove loose flocking? After sitting out for a season, I've noticed some "splotchy" areas on a few dekes where the airbrushed paint is worn off. I'm thinking these were areas that had excess, unattached flocking.

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I blow the excess flocking off after each application and before I start to paint. I haven't had that issue, so I really can't answer that.