All day hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Did a search but did not find discussion- hope I am not being redundant. Up until this year, we have had to quit hunting turkey in the spring at 1 pm. Been used to it. Hunt, quit, eat lunch maybe nap, scout the afternoon, repeat the next day. Wondering how you all adjusted or how you manage your scouting? I welcome the break because most of the time the afternoons are too hot and I am tuckered out after much walking and waiting. This year many of the WMA's are featuring all day hunting. I just hope this does not lead to a decline in bird numbers. Some of the southeastern states have had a decline in numbers (not related to all day hunting).

2. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

6DD8C08A-4D4B-4B66-ABB4-E5FA0EB28F8F.jpeg 7E244549-4C62-43AC-81A1-D292A65AC6F2.jpeg 7E244549-4C62-43AC-81A1-D292A65AC6F2.jpeg 166844DE-15BA-46DA-88F6-0DEE7CF4F1B5.jpeg I can’t say I scout much but we hunt very good turkey grounds. We go into a piece of property in the dark, setup and wait for the gobbles, and then hope they work our way. If not successful in the a.m., we then ditch the blind and go run and gun in the afternoon once the hens go to nest and the toms are very mobile and very vulnerable to the call/decoy. Some of our better hunts are the afternoon ones that you miss out on cause the hens haven’t left yet to go sit on a nest for the afternoon. We’ll work our way towards the gobble slowly, stopping to call every 10-15 minutes, wait a few for the gobble and then keep working toward the bird. The bird pictured came running up a 500’ cliff to the call to about 10yds. Best of all, very few are out and about after the morning hunt. :tu

Attached Files:

3. cholt

cholt Elite Refuge Member

Ive killed as many birds after 2pm that I’ve killed in the early a.m. as stated above the early morning can be a battle you better cut him off before he gets his hens. Or if they hang up early give them a couple hours and you will have them hook line and sinker.

4. Glades Ranger

Sounds good. Our birds are usually not very vocal. I find scouting of paramount importance. Have you always had all day hunting? I have only known the 1 pm cutoff for 39 years now.

5. Glades Ranger

negooseman, that is some beautiful land!! Private property? I have been confined to hunting public WMA's, which get considerable hunting pressure. The majority of my birds have been taken early, before 11:00 am, and most in the first half of the season (37 days long). We get some prescribed burns here, which become turkey magnets. Otherwise we have scrub palmetto prairie and wet sloughs- there are firelanes throughout that offer setups. Apart from some hot birds that are vocal, most gobblers are quiet and finding location necessarily requires scouting. Because of the heat and sun, our toms meander in the shade and slough areas in the afternoon- I figure if I have the opportunity to hunt in the afternoon, late afternoon sounds the best when the birds may cross open areas towards roosting sites.

6. cholt

I have always hunted private land in Bama and usually end up killing a few in the afternoons going to roost them.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

always been all day hunting here that I know of. Those pics are all public property but we do hunt private also.

8. Glades Ranger

Cholt, is it true that turkey numbers are down in Alabama? I believe I heard Mississippi also reported fewer. Can you use decoys on public or private land?

9. cholt

I haven’t seen a decline in numbers, I’ve actually seen more birds over the past few years. And yes you can use decoys on both public private land

10. SB2MAG

SB2MAG Elite Refuge Member

In Wisconsin, shooting hours are from 30min before sunrise to sunset. I've shot Turkey's just about every hour of the day. I've shot them 1min after shooting time as they land in my decoy spread. I've even shot Turkeys in the afternoon on the last day of the season which is usually around May 25th. I've shot them as they are walking to their roost.

Scouting is still the same. Scout the day before. Or you don't have to hunt all day. Or you can hunt and scout at the same time.

somedays, I will sit and read a book all day while I sit on a travel corridor.