All day hunting

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Glades Ranger, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Glades Ranger

Glades Ranger Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the replies. I will experiment with the afternoons. May have to cut short mornings or go out later. If i cannot leave and return WMA with same check-in card, will have to take more provisions and use vehicle as "base camp". In my duck marsh, it is always a morning affair as there is no activity in the afternoon. I love reading and napping- i will take that sage advice that if you nap, "keep one eye open"!

2. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

Ive shot more in the afternoon than the morning by a factor of probably 10 to 1.

3. 2eagles

2eagles Elite Refuge Member

“keep one eye open” isn’t bad advice I guess, but often times Tom will gobble and wake you up.
    I do remember the time is was napping and had my decoy set up. I woke up because one of the flock of jakes pecked my decoy and the noise woke me. Just me opening my eyes spooked one and they all ran off.

4. Glades Ranger

I always marvel at those videos and personal hunt accounts of multiple turkeys showing up...at most, I've had maybe three hens cruise by, single file, and I hardly ever see jakes. The last few toms have been virtual ghosts, not making a sound but jolting my heart and senses to the max. I could fancy several gobblers showing up and having the luxury to scope out the best one! And then there are the manicured lawns and oh-so perfect blinds on those private estates...

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I can hunt from 1/2 hour before sunrise to 5PM...

I can almost always get a bird to gobble in the morning, which infrequently corresponds to calling one in... If I can get a bird to answer in the late morning or afternoon, odds are far more in my favor of calling that bird into range. Very rarely do they come in gobbling hot, in the afternoon though... But if I can get one to answer, depending on how far, I either take a seat, or gain a bit of ground, and call periodically and wait patiently...

And with turkey hunting, every hunting trip is also a scouting trip.

6. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

I’ve believe I have learned a great deal about these birds from day-long sits...but very few have been in high heat conditions...

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

true. However, I believe it has more to do with me not tolerating high heat, the birds are already in the elements.

8. Glades Ranger

Down here, heaven is a shady place to sit and some breeze. Oh yeah, a good chair is a must- will no longer sit on the ground, loss of mass on the old rump. In contrast to duck hunting, so thankful I don't have to listen to loud mufflers or air boaters with ADD.

mudhen likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I've killed a lot of turkeys in the afternoon and called in far more for other folks. That said, I don't like hunting afternoons, and it's been at least ten years since I did it except with a guest from out of town.

I tend to hunt very aggressively until about 10:00 and then go fishing. Certainly not the best way to ensure filled tags, but it's what i enjoy at this point.

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

Mostly same here....but I’ve killed my share after 10 and 2.....it’s often as much about knowing I can come back and kill that bird the next morning, early, than waiting all day. I’d rather hunt early, kill a bird, and go catch crappie.

stevena198301 and bill cooksey like this.