Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

All things Corona and COVID-19

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by threeinchshell, Mar 19, 2020.

1. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

I already covered this about a month ago regarding this pre-print of the study (which as of yet still has only been published as a non-peer reviewed pre-print).

I'm not saying that the study is "bad" or "wrong," just that there are several factors that the authors did not address or make any adjustments to account for them. After they do so, the study still might show that natural immunity prevents hospitalization better than vaccination... or it might not. One unreviewed study does not equal a scientific consensus.

2. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I'll post it again next time. :yes

Natural immunity should be considered before any vaccine mandate....that's not arguable.

3. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Show me the others….

4. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Find them yourself.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Your roof leaks. We're doing research on roof repair. Nevermind that it's costly repeatedly putting (mandating) a new tarp on every 6 months. $$$
    Rest assured that we have our roof scientists working day and night to provide a permanent solution.
    Bear with us sir. Good science takes time and money. ;)
    In two to four years... :l

6. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

I'll post more when I'm not driving, eating a big mac, posting, and laughing. :yes

hunting1 likes this.
  7. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

It probably should. No one is arguing that (at least I'm not). Problem is that states haven't been tracking reinfections like they CDC has been asking them to do since April of 2020. So while it probably should be considered, it is hard to consider something for which the states have not been keeping track of in any meaningful way.

The way many states have been/are doing it, if you tested positive in January and then ended up reinfected in October, the October case is called an "existing" case and does not add to the case total or count as a new case. I suspect that states were afraid that tracking and treating reinfections as new infections (rather than existing infections) would lead to increased case numbers and could be used to push for more shutdowns/restrictions... Unfortunately this means that there is a lack of robust data regarding reinfection rates. Until such data is available for the powers that be to make an informed decision regarding how naturally acquired immunity should be considered with regard to any mandates. They aren't going to base policy on the results of an as of yet unreviewed (or repeated) study that those reviewing have expressed legitimate, result changing concerns about.

I get being opposed to mandates and I get wanting natural immunity included in the discussion... I also get that those who would create mandates can really only use the information that is available to them when creating those mandates. Right now the calculus is: Risk of harm from previously infected being vaccinated < Reduction in risk of harm achieved by vaccinating everyone. It will stay that way until there is sufficient evidence that prior infection provides a reduction in risk that is at least equivalent to and as predictable as that which is provided by vaccination.

bill cooksey likes this.
  8. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

:clap:clap:clap

9. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

10. Grif

Grif Elite Refuge Member

Time will tell. I still don't know anyone who has had covid twice....I'm sure they are out there....but there are damn few being hospitalized or dying.

I'm just waiting for Chicago to implode when 2000 Officers walk away....Mayor Beetlejuice says, "no way they will give up their jobs". :l

DelFowl18 and hunting1 like this.