Decoy Forum Sponsors

Almost a dozen now

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by HONKEREXTREME, May 28, 2021.

1. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Good stuff...keep going.

I try to do multiples at a time...3 heads, 3 bodies, etc.; I like to have 6, but 3 at a minimum. You don't invest as much "worry" into each one that way...you can take the chances, and you actually make fewer "mistakes" because you aren't trying to avoid screwing up. Builds your muscle memory, too.

As far as handcarved versus plastics...who knows. Ducks will decoy to plastic jugs painted black and brown. I think one advantage carvers MAY have is in avoiding the "Xerox" spread; if everyone in your area is running GHG mallards, a rig that has a dozen mallards, 6 widgeon, 3 ringnecks, and a pair of geese looks different. You can do that with plastics, too, but people tend to get into a groove.

I think it is very cool to kill ducks over my handcarved rig that has my decoys and others' in it, and I'd rather gun that rig and kill a few birds than stack them up over plastics and a spinner. Like using the duck feathers, deer hair, rabbit fur, etc. to tie flies and catch fish. But, it's just another "way".