Aluminum Boat Paint

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Grawler, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Grawler

Grawler Senior Refuge Member

My buddy just bought an aluminum 14' duck boat and needs to paint it. I'm helping him try to find the right paint and we have limited options...wal-mart, lowes or sherwin williams.

Any ideas on what would work without spending big $'s?

2. MARSH_HUNTR

MARSH_HUNTR Elite Refuge Member

sand it really well, then use an alcohol solution to clean the area up.....use an aluminum primer then paint it with outdoor oil based paint mixed to the color you like....a buddy did this and it looks great

3. RyanMerritt

RyanMerritt Senior Refuge Member

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    I have always gone to Home Depot and checked out their "Oops Paint". The paint that got mixed wrong. You can most always get some real funky dark color paint. $25 to 30.00 a gallon Behr latex paint for 5.00 a gallon. It all stays on fine without any prep work. If some scratches off, touch it back up. Its just a duck boat for heavens sake!

Rex & MollyAnn.........

5. jboomer

jboomer Senior Refuge Member

Since nobody has said anything about it, the H.S. Camo paint also works great. I have painted two boats in the last month with it, and that stuff will stick to anything...

I wanted a dark brown base, so I bought the mud brown color and had the ACE guys add some black to it.

6. goosemeplease

goosemeplease Senior Refuge Member

Old school primer for aluminum is zinc cromate with oil based paint over it,
    will last several lifetimes- if applied with care (prep work) or just slap some paint on fresh every year.....Jim

7. 733SubDucker

733SubDucker Elite Refuge Member

i second the Parkers paint. its not expensive and it works great

8. new2duckn

new2duckn Elite Refuge Member

Another vote for Parkers. I used the hunter green for the base coat. I just painted my boat about 2 weeks ago.....this doesn't show the whole boat, but you get the picture.

[​IMG]

9. RyanMerritt

RyanMerritt Senior Refuge Member

My Parkers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. cafowler1000

cafowler1000 Elite Refuge Member

Just call Parkers Coatings direct. I ordered a couple gallons from them direct a few years ago, they will answer any technical questions you might have; best etch, best primer, etc. The shipping wasn't to much, and the paint job has held up well, a few spots to touch up on the rail from running through trees when the river is up, but minor touch up. Really happy with the Parker paint. Give them a call,

http://www.parkercoatings.com/decoy.html

Good luck,

Kirk