California Flyway Forum Sponsors

AMMO - Dixon California

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by pacificflywaysupplies, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Chang Her

Chang Her New Member

You have any 6.5 creedmoor lead free in stock?

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

I'm a South Carolina resident stationed here in California on orders from the Coast Guard. I have also purchased a gun here in California in the last five years. What do you need from me in order for me to purchase ammo? I've been told conflicting things from several different stores and nobody really seems to have an answer for me or is willing to help in selling me ammo. I'm in need of a couple cases of shells to finish out the season and I'm willing to drive over from Santa Rosa to pick it up if you can tell me what I need to bring. I'm assuming just my drivers license, military ID, and a copy of my official military orders? Hell, even with that Sportsman's Warehouse told me I couldn't purchase any, and yet they tell me that I can buy a gun from them! LOL

3. Ring King

Well I guess nobody wants to sell me ammo in this state! Looks like I’ll be driving to Nevada to get my steel shot from now on!

4. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Biden says to Newsome, hold my beer...

Very likely there will be some sort of nationwide background check for ammo soon enough...

I don’t think the new CA ammo law allows NR’s to purchase in state...

Rumor has it Bass Pro/Cabela’s/SW are stopping on-line ammo sales shortly...

freefall likes this.
  5. Ring King

I am a non-resident, but I’m also here on military orders. That’s what I found ironic about my situation. I can walk into any store here in California, present my military ID card, my military travel orders, and my drivers license and buy a gun legally. However, everyone keeps telling me I can’t buy ammo here! LOL

I also am allowed to buy a resident hunting license here by providing my orders to the licensed agent.

Fortunately under all the new screwy CA ammo laws I’m legally allowed to drive out of state, purchase as much ammo as I want, and bring it back to my house here in California. That’s something that even a California resident can’t do legally. It’s just a hassle for me to do so since it’s 3.5 hours to the Cabelas in Nevada from my house and currently the Coast Guard isn’t letting us travel more than 100 miles from our base. Guess I could always send the wife to pick it up but that just wouldn’t be very chivalrous of me!

Potholes Mark, Wareagle1 and freefall like this.
  6. Tommyo

Tommyo Elite Refuge Member

How does the post season inventory look on 10 ga. BB ,BBB?
    How about Fiocchi 12ga. 1 1/5oz 3 inch 2,3?

7. pacificflywaysupplies

pacificflywaysupplies Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

No 10ga or 12ga right now only 20ga Hevi Bismuth in stock

I have 28ga, 410 and 16ga in stock

8. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

I believe you can go into a CA store and show either a CA ID... OR Military ID.

Pay a $1 fee and buy ammo.

your military ID should be good in all states.

I would go to your local retailer and tell them you have military ID and want to purchase.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/apfaqs#3

What do I need to bring to a vendor in order to purchase ammunition? What type of documentation? (non-exempt purchasers)

A valid California driver license, California identification card, or Military identification. (Pen. Code §, 28180.).

9. Ring King

That sounds fantastic but definitely hasn’t been my experience. Most places have just told me no. I did get a retailer to actually do the background check and I was denied twice. We tried it with my military ID and put in my address of record (South Carolina for me as I maintain my residency there) as well as trying it a second time with my California address (which is the same as the one on my gun purchase paperwork from 2017). Both times it came back as denied so I just gave up. I have three cases of steel shot sitting at Cabelas over in Nevada that I need to go pick up!

Turnkey and Wareagle1 like this.
  10. DuckFan

DuckFan Elite Refuge Member

I would take along the web site or a print out of it. The law is written and its on our CA attorney General's web site. So, they should be able to do it.

But I know what you mean...CA is 'different'. Thank you for your service. Our freedom depends on service members like you! God Bless.