Gun Dog Forum Sponsors

Anaplasmosis

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by Steelteamsix, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Steelteamsix

Steelteamsix Refuge Member

Have a 4 yo choc female that tested positive for anaplasmosis last year upon blood draw. She showed no symptoms at the time so who knows how long before she had it. We treated her at the time and thought nothing further. A few days ago she started showing symptoms again, lethargy, stiffness, unwillingness to jump on the bed and couch. Mostly likely will be treating her yearly now as prevention. Anyone else have similar issues or advice

2. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Elite Refuge Member

I just finished up a round of Doxy to treat anaplasmosis in my 8 year old GWP. She has popped the Lyme's test for the last couple of years, but never showed any symptoms. This May she started acting "off", not really Lyme's symptoms, but not terribly far off either. Brought her to the vet and ran an expanded panel and found she is now also positive for anaplasmosis. 24 hours after we started the Doxy she was noticeably better. By day 3 of the treatment she was back to normal. Vet hops we knocked it out of her for good, but admits that it will most likely be a wait and treat symptoms thing for the rest of her life. There is so much unknown with these nasty little tick borne diseases. I am glad my vet is at least a little familiar with them and willing to discuss treatment options and his line of thinking on the matter. Doesn't hurt that he is right at the end of the block and knows how often my dogs are out in tick country. I will tell you that I have switched to a tick collar instead of a topical treatment. Topicals just weren't cutting it for me when we would hunt grouse and woodcock up in the woods. Pheasant hunting hasn't been much of an issue for me, same with normal training in grasslands.

3. Steelteamsix

Steelteamsix Refuge Member

Have you ever heard about the oral pill? That's what mine takes but thinking about switching. It kills any ticks that bite her but they still bite...pros and cons to each.

She has energy yet wants to play and swim but is still reluctant to go up even a single step. Picking her up onto the bed she whines. Maybe more of a back issue? We'll be taking her in tomorrow

4. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

I've had 2 dogs get lymes,both times i caught it early enough for no long term issues.i was told by vet that once your dog gets lymes it always has the "bug" and could reoccur. She basically said the doxy knocks lymes into hibernation..
    Maybe anaplasmosis is similar? My old female had it and never showed any issues after treatment.
    Go to the vet,the longer you wait the more damaging tick diseases become.