Anchoring a dog pen to a concrete slab

K

kswaterfowler

Anybody have any ideas on how to anchor a dog pen to a concrete slab. We have panels that we bought and then put together in place, but the dog pushed on then hard enough to move them and get out. Looking for a way to keep them anchored so that doesnt happen as well as keep in anchored in high winds. Thanks.

Rodney Fogleson

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Redhead makes a similar product that I use in installation projects at work all the time and it works very well, It is called a drop-in anchor. Works on similar principal to above product. It flush mounts to concrete and you use a bolt and washer. What you do is you drill hole in concrete (various sizes for drop-in size) I would recommend a 3/8" drop in so a 1/2" hole and then you drop in anchor and use a drift to set the anchor. You would need to make a strap.

Rodney

Jay Dufour

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yep.....
KennelsKatrina.jpg

HuntH2OFowl

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I used conduit hangers mounted to the concrete with concrete scews. I had to use fender washers to make the hole small enough for the concrete screw.

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/1731256

Has worked so far....only thing I would do differently is put lock nuts instead of the stock nuts...they work loose.

Leland

Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>12/12/61 - 02/
Reaction score
they make screws called tap con then you could use conduit hangers to anchor to the crete .and they are easy to drill to as they include bits .but buy a few extra bits and borrow a 3/8's in hammer drill also make it easier .

duckhunter87

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I vote for the tap cons too. Just make sure you don't make the hole to big or they won't hold.

Leland

Elite Refuge Member<br>In Memory<br>12/12/61 - 02/
Reaction score
as long as you buy the correct sized bit no problem the package tells you what bit to use

SUPERX-2

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I have used the conduit hangers, but in high wind they didn't hold the pen down. After that, I used the concrete anchors that I believe they are talking about, you drill a hole drive they anchors into the hole and then tighten them down allowing the anchor to grab the concrete, then I put a nut and then a washer onto the stud, then wrapped 1/4" chain around the corners of the pen, and then sandwiched the chain between the existing nut and washer with another washer and nut. I took a galvanized bolt and nut and bolted the other end of the chain to itself(if that makes sense), basically just making a loop around the corner. Hope this make sense. I live on top of a hill, and it has withstood 60mph winds more than once.

Bluebill Buster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I too use conduit hangors with concrete screws. Never had an issue with anything yet and it's super sturdy.