Anchors

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by #1WATERFOWLER, May 26, 2021.

1. #1WATERFOWLER

#1WATERFOWLER Senior Refuge Member

Anyone ever use a fluke style anchor? This one is made by Chene.

upload_2021-5-26_11-18-34.png

Reviews I've seen are mostly negative on Cabelas but curious what the Fuge says.

2. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

It all depends on the bottom. Sand, or gravel, great. Rocks, coral, hard bottom, not so much.
    Don't forget the chain. Rope to the anchor won't let it work right.

salthunter and Tuleman like this.
  3. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

To expand on NNVD's post: works good on mud bottoms, too. One thing I've never liked about this style of anchor is storing them in the boat. They take up a lot of space and can tear some s..t up.

DelFowl18 and oleww like this.
  4. DelFowl18

DelFowl18 Senior Refuge Member

I use one like that during the summer months. Great for the sand. During hunting season I use a rubber coated Navy anchor. As said in the last post the first will take up too much room and definitely catches everything you don't want it to

5. #1WATERFOWLER

OK so let me throw something else at ya. In the event a guy gets hung up on a sandbar with his boat and happens to have a winch mounted to said boat, and also happens to not be close enough to any tree to hook the winch cable too, could that guy hook the winch cable to his anchor and toss said anchor out in the water and winch himself off that sandbar? Anyone ever done that? Seems to me like it'd work as long as the anchor held. I'm wondering if the fluke anchor would be the best bet for that application or perhaps the rubber coated navy anchor would do the trick.

6. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I hunt areas considerable tides and currents and with sandy and sticky mud bottoms. I use Danforth exclusively. Never even thought of anything else. Danforth is a fluke style but the one in your picture is not a Danforth. In those types of bottom structures, Danforths grab and hold.

Dandy

7. #1WATERFOWLER

Thanks Dandy I'll check 'em out!

8. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

The way to do that is walk out anchor away from boat. Normal anchor holding strenght is 3 times depth of water on line played out from boat. up to 5 times lenght in extreme conditions. To get the holding power for anchor to allow you to wench off bar or obstruction first you need to get cable or rope out far enough away from boat to allow anchor to get a bite in bottom. Navy anchor a no go far as using for wench point.

Tuleman likes this.
  9. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

I keep a similar fluke anchor in my boat. Holds a boat fine in the sand and mud bottoms we have but for winching off a sandbar, I have a hard time believing it wouldn't fold up. It's basically sheet metal.

10. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

A danforth isn't sheet metal and may work for winching, depends on boat size, bottom, and length of danforth. I have mushroom, navy and fluke anchors in my boat, all used for different bottom types.