And...Not so good news ahead

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by BBFlinger, Jul 10, 2011.

1. BBFlinger

BBFlinger Elite Refuge Member

2. Birdboy

Birdboy Elite Refuge Member

WOW.. that could hurt

3. rmk800

rmk800 Elite Refuge Member

its sad indeed, however spending must be cut in a lot of areas! our government is living beyond its means. we are borrowing 40 cents to every dollor we spend. pain is coming for a lot of us in many different ways. if our gov't raises the debt limit without some serious spending cuts we are simply kicking the can down the road for further and more severe problems.

4. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

The problem, as I understand it, is not with a bunch of puny programs that support wetlands and wetland habitats but out of control entitlement programs. If they put those on a reduction plan and stopped funding wars with debt, we could make some real progress.

If the American people want to go to war then let's pay cash for them. Only way to do that will be to raise everyone's taxes. I don't think we'll be so quick to run off to the middle east again.

I think there is going to be some real political backlash against the slash and burn politics some are pursuing right now.

Yes, something needs to be done but the first thing to be cut will be the little programs come a the lowest political cost. Regardless of how effective and/or efficient the program is. The last items to be cut will be the least effective and most inefficient programs which are typically the most politically popular.

5. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Spot on, Steve. We also must let the Bush tax cuts of 2001 and 2003 expire. As I understand it, the major sticking point is the Republican's refusal to do so. If they maintain this untenable position, I really hope it hurts them at the polls next time around. Unfortunately, some people would rather subsidize the wealthy than spend money on conservation programs. That's terribly unwise policy, and it's difficult to understand how anyone who hunts could endorse it.

6. Pintail Hunter

Pintail Hunter Elite Refuge Member

7. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Cutting conservation makes no sense at all. I have talked before about the lack of vision on the part of Republicans on this issue. I have yet to see any real backlash locally from the hook and bullet crowd. Hand-wringing, yes, but I don't see anybody holding our congressional delegation or our legislators responsible for their short sightedness.

8. Jman

Jman Senior Refuge Member

Take em!!!

9. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

Ha! That one still makes laugh. Not I'm the online "lol" way. But really laugh!

I think it's funny that EVERYONE understands that spending needs to be cut. But nobody wants their baby on the chopping block. It's the other side's programs that have caused this. Anyone sitting pointing their finger at the other side on this doesn't get the complexity and debth of the problem we face. Only a comprehensive approach will solve this problem. And even a comprehensive approach is going to take time. No matter what is cut, it won't make it all better tomorrow. Some tough times are ahead of us. Sucks to have to pay for previous people's mistakes!