And thus it begins...

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Vanilla, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50666012-76/access-public-utah-act.html.csp

Kudos to the Utah Stream Access Coalition for stepping up to the plate to restore the Utah public's right to the waters we own! :tu

I laugh that Stowell, the Senator that performed all the back-room deals to get this law passed in the Senate, all-the-sudden wants to sit down and talk about a proper solution. That's all I've heard...let's sit down and talk about it. We've tried for two years, we've been given nothing but the mere possibility of an increase in the Walk-in Access Program as a solution to this problem.

2. Paddler

Paddler Banned

It will be interesting to see what happens.:tu

3. C-dizzle

C-dizzle Senior Refuge Member

Yeah, it's sad that us "greedy flyfishermen"(as azzwipe Don Peay classifies us) have to take the issue to court. Well, apparently this is the only way these nut jobs will be willing to sit down and work something out, which I doubt can happen anyway unless intervened by the courts. This is going to cost $ so where can I make my pledge?

4. Vanilla

Vanilla Elite Refuge Member

You're right c-dizz. It's going to cost a pretty penny. We have a very qualified and competent legal team assembled, and they are being very generous. But certain things cost money. If you would like to contribute to the cause, go to the Utah Stream Access Coalition's (USAC) website and there is a paypal link to donate to the pot that will fund the legal battle.

http://www.utahstreamaccess.org/index.php

The funny thing about people saying that we should sit down and talk about it...I have been a part of the Governor's task force that was referenced by Ted Wilson in the article. Both sides have been brought together multiple times. And in multiple meetings the landowners have made clear, time and time again, that anything we discuss that does not go along with HB 141, they won't discuss. I also heard multiple times, "Anything short of a rancher deciding who comes on their river and who doesn't is unacceptable." We've tried to compromise with them for 2 years. We've got nothing from them. I know, because I've been there and witnessed it all with my own eyes. So now it goes to court. It was the only option left for sportsmen in our state.