ANGRY BEAVER = what the hell!!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Dean Nelson, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

So a couple days ago I had a beaver become aggressive towards me the likes of which I have never seen nor have ever heard anybody talk about before. Needless to say before I go any further I must acknowledge this entire post has the setup for the most amazing double entendre that anyone could have for there is nothing worse on this planet than having to deal with an angry wet beaver!:dv

So with all that said here's the basic facts of what happened I was sitting approximately 1 to 2 yards from the waterline on a shoreline of a somewhat recently flooded area. For the background on this spot I have hunted it multiple times in the last 3 weeks. Yet for some reason this time as I was sitting there a beaver popped up approximately 20 yards away. Now having this happen in this particular area is not even remotely surprising because the area is filled with beavers but this Beaver started acting in a way I've never seen before! this duck hunting spot would probably be what many of you would expect most duck hunting spots North Dakota to be like... Translation I was making absolutely no effort to hide and probably could have been wearing freaking Blaze Orange yet the Ducks didn't seem to care! The whole point of this is to point out the fact that I was not remotely in any way shape or form hidden from this Beaver. There is absolutely zero doubt this Beaver knew I was there and it was very clear almost instantly that he knew I was there and was not remotely cool with that particular phenomenon! He started to swim towards me with no deviation or waiver or any second thought just swam directly at me all the while slamming his head up and down as well as forward and back while also banging his teeth together in some sort of weird clicking fashion that I can only compare do the scene at the end of World War Z where the zombie was clicking his teeth together right in front of Brad Pitt! This Beaver proceeded to swim directly towards me and come up on the land with me and at this point he was less then five feet away and had my attention enough that I actually sat partway up and used the barrel of my shotgun to try to push him back in the water. My Barrel never made full contact with the beaver but it was enough to push it back in the water but all he did was swim out about 10 yards and start circling back. It was at this point I rose up onto my knees to try and make myself a larger Target to possibly intimidate him. this did cause a momentary Retreat on his part but that was immediately followed by a substantially more aggressive approach with the same teeth clicking head-bobbing weird behavior I've never seen a Beaver do before. It was also at this point where I said screw this s*** and turned his head into a convertible with a 3 inch BB shell!

Now I didn't have him tested but by his behavior I would be willing to say with a 99% odds of certainty that this Beaver did not have rabies or anything of that sort. The way this animal acted seemed completely calculated and not just some sort of blind baseless aggression. So again I get back to the whole point of this post and that is that the Refuge Brain Trust is one of the best repositories for aquatic Wildlife experiences and I'm just very curious if anyone has ever experienced a beaver getting irate at them for sitting next to their culvert or wet hole if you want to play the double entendre game at this point!:dv

Took this pic fairly early on in the hunt so the full limit of ducks plus a bonus Merganser are not in this pic but here is said Angry Beaver!

Screenshot_20191016-122420.jpg

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    Blax17, dukejb, 1duckmaster and 2 others like this.
  2. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Anyone ever tell you you have a nice beaver?

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Only your mom!:rolleyes: Sorry that was too easy it had to be done!

4. callinfowl

callinfowl MEGA.

I hunt a small beaver pond, I've had them clear the pond of decoys over night, chase my buddies Chessie out of the water and swim out and pushed dead ducks that were floating in "HIS"
    pond. I've heard the chomping noise they make with their teeth.
    And I love when they swim around the pond slapping my their tail on the water when birds are working. They make great motion decoys. So I can see a big'ol boss beaver trying to push you out of HIS pond. That's pretty messed up that you killed for doing what they do, you could've just punted him across the pond, that ain't right unless you plan on eating him.
    But I'm not sure Id want to eat an old tough beaver.
    I probably would've just snuggled up with it and stroked the old Beaver to make friends with it. Your cruelty to old beav's says something about you. Were you touched by one inappropriately when you were a little guy?

5. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I worked at a small fish hatchery about 38 years ago that was occasionally visited by beavers. One of the workers claimed a beaver bit his waders. I always thought it was an attempt to get the state to buy him an extra pair of waders. Now, maybe not.

6. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Had the same experience with a groundhog when I was out hunting quail, I'd walk back and away from it and it would run towards me, that went on for around ten minutes till I decided he was getting to close. Emptied the whole gun in him and went about my business.
    I was thinking maybe rabies for the groundhog.

7. Juan De

Juan De Senior Refuge Member

Was it female? Could of been just that time of the month. And she needed some one to fuss at.

WoodieSC, 10GAGENUT and widgeon like this.
  8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

That gar mouth merganser, ain’t considered a bonus, round here.

9. tomturkey

tomturkey Elite Refuge Member

Dean Maybe it was aggressive because it was BLOND. The only beaver have seen that color came out of the south.

Have you ever tried to determine the sex of a beaver with out skinning it? It requires a rectal exam as the organs are in side. I had a friend that live trapped beaver to transplant else where when beaver were few and far between. He would let them loose in his basement. After a while they would become very docile so he could give them a rectal exam.

10. dirtyj

dirtyj Senior Refuge Member

Congrats on your merganser - that was worth it