Another Duck Hunter Drowns

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by AvianQuest, Dec 17, 2019.

1. AvianQuest

AvianQuest Elite Refuge Member

High winds, cold weather, and cold water, a bad combo for small boats.

https://www.victoriaadvocate.com/co...gn=blox&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Sad

3. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

4. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

Few years ago I launched for fishing at first daylight at a remote ramp

Current was rolling

I turned around and my rope had broke (dry rotted)

I looked at My boat
    Looked to see who was watching embarrassed but no one was around

then patiently sat down on the dock watching my boat roll down the river

about an hr later dude pulls up to launch and says I just crossed the bridge and there was a boat with nobody in it rolling down the river

I calmly said yep that be mine. Told him the story
    he said damn you didn’t swim after it

I said naw it’s insured and I ain’t dying over a dang boat

never swim after your boat
    Many die just trying to get into w heart attack after swimming it down

he laughed and said what would you have done if I wouldn’t showed up

I said sit here a little longer
    It’s a boat
    It’s floats
    And is insured

I’ll get it when I get it

6. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

This time of year, around here at least, a drifting boat isn't even worth getting wet for let alone swimming.
    Better to sit and calmly wait for help (dry) than to frantically need help (wet).

WoodieSC, GK1, Rebranger and 2 others like this.
  7. meb

meb Senior Refuge Member

Couple years ago we were setup couple hundred yards from another group of guys along Lake Erie basically competing to decoys the same birds. We each had some success when I noticed a guy hustling down the rock wall as best he could towards us. When he got to us he pointed to his boat floating towards the middle of Lake Erie and eventually Canada and said the rocks must have cut his anchor line. I told him let’s go and we hustled as best we could to my boat. By the time we got to his boat it was further away from the wind sheltered side of the shore than I really wanted to be but we got alongside his boat and he got in and fired it up. He thanked me gave me the thumbs up and we both headed back to our spots. Never did catch his name. Hope a fellow duck hunter would do the same for me if had the misfortune to end up in a similar predicament.

8. LabsInTheCanes

LabsInTheCanes Senior Refuge Member

About 10 years ago, Thanksgiving morning on a bay of Lake Michigan with air temps in the twenties, I found myself in the same situation. Anchor didn’t hold my boat and it started drifting out in the dark. I saw my boat with my headlamp and made the stupid decision to swim for it. Huge mistake. By the time I caught up with it, I could feel my strength and stamina sapped from me. Now my problem was getting back into the boat, as the water was over my head deep. Hand over hand, I moved to the transom and straddled my outboards lower unit and used the auxiliary trim button to improve my angle and was able to board. As soon as I got out of the water, my entire outer layer froze solid. Only then did the gravity of what could have been my FINAL mistake set in and I started shaking uncontrollably. NEVER, I MEAN NEVER swim for your boat. Almost made a widow out of my wife and left two fatherless daughters that day!!!!

WoodieSC, GK1, riverrat47 and 3 others like this.
  9. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

There was a span of about 4 years where I was totally consumed with Steelhead fishing. One winter I was fishing Hell's Canyon on the Snake River and trying to make it along the cliffs to get to a hole I had spotted.
    Temperatures were in the 20's and the river was raging. I slipped but never got wet. However, the sheer cliffs and sheer stupidity of what I attempted to do haunts me to this day. I don't believe I've ever mentioned this to anybody until here, today.

Stay safe out there.

WoodieSC likes this.
  10. Long Shot

Long Shot Senior Refuge Member

I know of some young guys that were hunting the OH river & pulled their boat up on an island. The boat drifted off the island & they went swimming after it, how they didn’t drown I don’t know.