Another "My boat won't plane out" thread

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Take-a-Gander, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Take-a-Gander

Take-a-Gander Elite Refuge Member

Sorry guys but I am baffled?
    My season ended a little early last year do to a rock punching a hole in my hull in November.
    Boat went into the garage, and I noticed during the off season the lower unit was leaking so changed out the seal and refilled the gear case and patched the hole.
    Took it out today and it will not plane out!! Nothing changed as far as the set up.
    40 hp Evinrude tiller, Panther trim/tilt unit on a Duck Wrangler 15' fiberglass hull.
    Motor seems to be running smooth, tried adjusting the motor under power with no change. It is not cavitating just will not plane out at WOT, worked fine when I closed out the season?
    Any thoughts?

2. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

There is more than one seal in the lower unit. May not have needed seal in lower unit. Could be oil residue from 2-cycle combustion.Prop may have been damaged by whatever made a hole in your boat. The hub may have spun. Does the engine race (accelerate) when you advance the throttle?Panther trim/tilt may have been damaged by whatever punched a hole in your boat and be left in an up-tilted position. Boat may have taken on water and be carrying Excess weight.
    Panther trim/tilt may have been accidentally left in a partially tilted position?

3. Take-a-Gander

Thanks Bruce,
    I replaced both seals as it was definitely gear lube leaking, it was milky and had that gear lube smell. I hit a dead head or a rock in the bow area of the boat and not the prop. The prop looks good, I of course had to pull it to change the seals and looked the shaft over good when I had it apart. Trim and tilt functions normal. I don't have a tach but motor seems to revving up as I advance the throttle? The day we holed the boat I had a 3 mile boat ride after the event, one the water was pumped out it got up on plane no problem for the ride back.
    Like I said very strange?

4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

If I had to guess, I'd say one cylinder is not firing, whether it's fuel (most likely), spark, or compression related, you'll have to diagnose. So many times I've heard "It sounds good" only to find out one cylinder is not firing.

5. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

I agree. First thing i'd check. Second would be the hub.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Elite Refuge Member

Did you check the prop?
    if you hit the gear case, the prop also might get some damage

Rubberhead likes this.
  7. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

If the hub was bad it would over-rev and slow down as the RPM's increase and the hub slips.

Shade tree mechanics way to check spark in the cylinders; get the motor running in a barrel or on muffs, then while wearing heavy rubber gloves (unless you like getting shocked), remove a spark plug wire from a plug, if it starts running ratty the cylinder is firing, replace the wire and move to the next plug wire. If you remove one and there is no difference in the way motor is running you found the problem cylinder.

8. Take-a-Gander

Checked the spark with a spark indicator and both wires appear to be sparking well, as far as the spun hub nothing struck the prop that I know of. When I opened the throttle the engine didn't over rev by any means I don't have a tach so not sure of the RPM.
    I was thinking more about any change and I did raise the motor up one hole on the bracket as it was very difficult to turn when I was running it last fall, I don't know if that has caused it to loose the ability to plane out?
    Again it doesn't cavitation at all at WOT

9. bruce

bruce Elite Refuge Member

I think you are saying that the engine ran fine before you hit the Rock and that it stepped the boat on plane after the rock once you pumped the water out of the boat. Then the boat was put away for the season. When you tried to get boat back in service in the spring, it wouldn't plane. A tach would be very helpful. I am trusting that you know how to use a spark checker. I have found that checking spark, compression, and the gearcase (for water, level, and metal filings) can really help to narrow things down. There are more than two seals in the lower unit by the way. Propshaft, driveshaft, shift rod, and o-ring on bearing carrier. I'm very sure that gearcase leakage has nothing to do with the problem. Not too many things can happen while in storage that would cause it to lose its ability to plane. If you got an accurate spark check you may just have lost a spark plug. Maybe due to fogging oil from winterization. If it didn't get winterized properly, you may have a fuel system problem.

10. Rob DeHaven

Rob DeHaven Elite Refuge Member

Well if the only change you know of is the raising of the motor I would say put it back where it was and see what happens. This is where I would start.

callinfowl, Huntndogs and Fowler267 like this.