Another SCOTUS decision that needs to be fixed...

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Kelo v. City of New London

City of New London, Connecticut condemned a property of a private citizen, not to use for a road, school or public easement... No... It was condemned and sold to another private developer because it had potential for higher property tax revenue to the City of New London. 5-4 decision in favor of the move. Travesty to personal property rights.
Are you in favor of the US government taking private land from private USA citizens for a private foreign company to sell their goods worldwide?

Keystone Pipeline

capefearflyfox

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you in favor of the US government taking private land from private USA citizens for a private foreign company to sell their goods worldwide?

Keystone Pipeline
It's a utility easement, no different than any utility provider. Utility easements are done every day without tearing people's houses down and selling their land to another private entity so the government can get more tax revenue. That is the point here.

Now if TC Energy solicited the government to condemn someone's property to build a refinery or storage facility on it, then I am in total agreement. It's not right and shouldn't be allowed.

Your point is a strawman, and apples and oranges at best.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It's a utility easement, no different than any utility provider. Utility easements are done every day without tearing people's houses down and selling their land to another private entity so the government can get more tax revenue. That is the point here.

Now if TC Energy solicited the government to condemn someone's property to build a refinery or storage facility on it, then I am in total agreement. It's not right and shouldn't be allowed.

Your point is a strawman, and apples and oranges at best.
LMAO yeah right Candian easements on us ground. Lemming

Steelshot Scott

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
LMAO yeah right Candian easements on us ground. Lemming
Do you actually believe this, or do you just like to argue with people?

No matter what the topic, you take a moronic position and double down on the idiocy as your argument gets pummeled by reality.

I would think that just by the law of averages you would occasionally wind up on the correct side of a issue. Just one, at least.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I took a Constitutional Law class in college (yeah, and I slept at a Holiday Inn Express :grvn) and I remember reading Kelo and thinking there was no way in hell it was right. But there it was, in black and white print, a decision that the government could take private property in the interest of enriching itself as long as due process was followed. It belongs on the wall of shame with several other patently un-American rulings, most of which have thankfully bitten the dust by now.

@beaker, who’s to say your property is safe? I’m sure there’s someone out there with more money than you who can promise the world to the taxing body of relevancy. Private property rights are among the most foundational building blocks of our society. Eminent domain powers should be so severely curtailed as to be prohibitively burdensome and expensive for the government to even attempt their use.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Eminent domain powers should be so severely curtailed as to be prohibitively burdensome and expensive for the government to even attempt their use.
I agree with this have no idea why half the country is clamoring for the keystone pipeline and it republicans too boot. It’s such a democratic idea lets take private ground for the public good. Crazy.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree with this have no idea why have the country is clamoring for the keystone pipeline and it republicans too boot. It’s such a democratic idea lets take private ground for the public good. Crazy.
Keystone Pipeline was not an eminent domain case.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Keystone Pipeline was not an eminent domain case.
You are usually very accurate with your statements and often find your thoughts and post a learning opportunity!!!

I do think eminent domain was used and approved by states the pipeline went through.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
You are usually very accurate with your statements and often find your thoughts and post a learning opportunity!!!

I do think eminent domain was used and approved by states the pipeline went through.

Thanks to the political back and forth about the pipeline at the federal level I don’t believe any eminent domain cases were ever tried in the case of Keystone. But it you find one I’ll admit my error on this.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the political back and forth about the pipeline at the federal level I don’t believe any eminent domain cases were ever tried in the case of Keystone. But it you find one I’ll admit my error on this.
In Montana and South Dakota the state legislature gave trans canada the right to use eminent domain so landowners knew they lost their rights to even fight it. 2 cases went to court in Nebraska I had read about.

In NE:
The Keystone project resulted in very little actual use of eminent domain, but of course the threat was always present. This author is aware of only two cases filed in the state for the Keystone project. All other needed property rights were obtained through negotiations.