Another SCOTUS decision that needs to be fixed...

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In Montana and South Dakota the state legislature gave trans canada the right to use eminent domain so landowners knew they lost their rights to even fight it. 2 cases went to court in Nebraska I had read about.

In NE:
The Keystone project resulted in very little actual use of eminent domain, but of course the threat was always present. This author is aware of only two cases filed in the state for the Keystone project. All other needed property rights were obtained through negotiations.
Interesting. Two cases filed, but were they litigated to conclusion? Did Kelo apply, or did Brandon’s Day1 cancellation moot the whole thing?

If a private company can’t obtain needed land agreeably then they aren’t offering enough money to the property owners. Everyone has a price. Tell that greenie weenie his 30 yard wide oil pipeline easement is worth $10 million and I bet you’ll see desired results!

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Two cases filed, but were they litigated to conclusion? Did Kelo apply, or did Brandon’s Day1 cancellation moot the whole thing?

If a private company can’t obtain needed land agreeably then they aren’t offering enough money to the property owners. Everyone has a price. Tell that greenie weenie his 30 yard wide oil pipeline easement is worth $10 million and I bet you’ll see desired results!
To me when Montana and SoDak legislated laws saying eminent domain can be used specialty for the pipeline, well the tool eminent domain was used for it sending the message to every land owner saying your losing your land one way or the other. I believe if a landowner fought a eminent domain filing they could be held accountable for legal fees from trans Canadian lawyers. The land owners in both those states had no chance to keep their property once the eminent domain laws were passed.

capefearflyfox

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
In Montana and South Dakota the state legislature gave trans canada the right to use eminent domain so landowners knew they lost their rights to even fight it. 2 cases went to court in Nebraska I had read about.

In NE:
The Keystone project resulted in very little actual use of eminent domain, but of course the threat was always present. This author is aware of only two cases filed in the state for the Keystone project. All other needed property rights were obtained through negotiations.
So you answered your own question. It seems you're more dedicated to stopping domestic energy production than worrying about government overreach that violates personal property rights.

As I said... it's a utility easement, no different than natural gas piping, power lines, water & sewer lines or fiber optic running through your yard. It's not exactly the government seizing your property to sell to another private entity because it brings a higher tax revenue. Utility easements are a different animal.

Nice strawman though. You get a B- for effort, but F for execution. I guess moral victories are your thing, much like UNC Football & Basketball and their handing out rings for being runner ups. :l

beaker

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
How about Citizens United vs. FEC? Who loves a good Super Pac commercial or two or two thousand.

Lip Shooter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So you answered your own question. It seems you're more dedicated to stopping domestic energy production than worrying about government overreach that violates personal property rights.

As I said... it's a utility easement, no different than natural gas piping, power lines, water & sewer lines or fiber optic running through your yard. It's not exactly the government seizing your property to sell to another private entity because it brings a higher tax revenue. Utility easements are a different animal.

Nice strawman though. You get a B- for effort, but F for execution. I guess moral victories are your thing, much like UNC Football & Basketball and their handing out rings for being runner ups. :l
Domestic energy production? Is Canada domestic energy production? I think you can grade yourself on that ah one :) LOL

A private foreign company getting a easement, not selling you the product, is the same as the local power company doing it to you? Wow guess we all have different views

capefearflyfox

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Domestic energy production? Is Canada domestic energy production? I think you can grade yourself on that ah one :) LOL

A private foreign company getting a easement, not selling you the product, is the same as the local power company doing it to you? Wow guess we all have different views
I consider energy production in the northern US and southern Canada as domestic. You do realize that the Cushing MarketLink (Phase 3a) of the pipeline is where US sourced oil is added, right? Refineries accepting this oil are in Nebraska, Illinois & Texas. Keystone XL (Phase 4) would have had US sourced oil added in Baker, Montana.

But continue to twist yourself in knots denying it. Keystone does / would've carried US & Canada sourced oil to multiple refineries in the US.

You have been weighed, measured, and found wanting.

BigSkyDuk

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
How about Citizens United vs. FEC? Who loves a good Super Pac commercial or two or two thousand.
So we should go back to dictating how much money one can spend in pursuit of political causes? Unless the spenders are unions of course… they always had a loophole.

It’s funny how liberals actually love treating corporations like people—you know, suing them and such—right up until those corporations want to advocate for politicians and policy that might benefit them. Then all of a sudden they shouldn’t be people at all. Which way do you guys want it?

pintail2222

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Are you in favor of the US government taking private land from private USA citizens for a private foreign company to sell their goods worldwide?

Keystone Pipeline
You can plant crops again on top of the keystone pipeline. It’s 36” in diameter and buried 6’ down. Soil structure is key along with microbial population re-establishing itself.

I view that differently than the situation sited in the OP.

WetWad

Refuge Member
Reaction score
Can we overturn DC vs Miller too while we're at it?

Latest posts