Anticipated Reduced 23-24 Season

PorkChop

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Tons of water now here in the PPR. Now if they (ducks) just had some more nesting cover. Seeing lots utilizing the road ditch grass. Hopefully eggs hatch before mowing and haying those ditches starts.

Grif

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

salthunter

Reaction score
Im in southern Minnesota. The last couple weeks of rain, and rising waters have hit the nesting birds hard.

Wasnt there "research a few years back; hunters had almost no impact on duck flyway populations.
What I can say is: 120 day duck season in the west is great, ( I border 2 units) add on another 5 weeks of conservation hunt, early season depredation hunt, I thnik we have it pretty good here in Idaho
a desert_
But we dont have much flooded corn north of us either :p

Last edited:

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Im in southern Minnesota. The last couple weeks of rain, and rising waters have hit the nesting birds hard.

Wasnt there "research a few years back; hunters had almost no impact on duck flyway populations.
What I can say is 12o day duck season in the west is great, add on another 5 weeks of conservation hunt, early season depredation hunt, I thik we have it pretty good here in Idaho
a desert_

Good God! The whole point of regulations is to keep hunters from having an impact on game populations. How to people get so freaking confused on that point?

Salthunter, sorry to single you out on the comment, but someone will make a similar comment in any similar thread on social media, and it demonstrates a wild disconnect.

salthunter

Reaction score
Bill ,, what did I get wrong.
Maybe western and northern wild life management is different?
Big game in much of the west is managed by ranchers, Predator's to reduce impact on livestock and game ? And the whole fake balance of nature!

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bill ,, what did I get wrong.
Maybe western and northern wild life management is different?
Big game in much of the west is managed by ranchers, Predator's to reduce impact on livestock and game ? And the whole fake balance of nature!

The comment about hunting having almost no impact on populations is only true when proper restrictions on hunting are in place. So, when nonhuman/non hunting factors allow booming populations, hunters can take more with no harm. When those factors cause a reduced population, hunting must be more restricted so as not to tip our take to additive.

Many hunters seem to think it means we should be able to have liberal refs no matter what other factors are doing to populations.

oleww

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The comment about hunting having almost no impact on populations is only true when proper restrictions on hunting are in place. So, when nonhuman/non hunting factors allow booming populations, hunters can take more with no harm. When those factors cause a reduced population, hunting must be more restricted so as not to tip our take to additive.

Many hunters seem to think it means we should be able to have liberal refs no matter what other factors are doing to populations.
I’d like to think on my little slice of heaven my hunting is a zero sum or even benificial to the wildlife.

I plant food plots and fruit trees and encourage oaks (acorns) growth.

I remove as many predators as possible. Mostly pigs and coons.

Any season length or limit changes won’t change what’s in my freezer much.

FriedPotatoes

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

I think people recite the ‘hunters don’t affect the population’ line without being aware of the caveat that that’s only when populations are above a certain level. I know I used to be unclear on this.

Latest posts