Decoy Forum Sponsors

Antique Decoy Question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by bill cooksey, Jun 7, 2021.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Decoys have a habit to appear in unusual places. Colorado has no carvers that I know of so that leaves the rest of the country in play. Having never seen the birds, they could be DU birds or some factory birds. I’ve been playing with antique birds for over 45 years and a new discovery always raises the heartbeat, this is what collectors dream of. I bought 2 gunny sacks full 35 years ago and hit a home run, that happens only once in a collectors lifetime.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  2. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Yup...works out in a lot of weird ways. Could be Animal Trap/Victor/Padco, could be Herter's or LL Bean Coastals, Wildfowler, or it could be like the episode of "Antiques Roadshow" where the guy walks in with a mint pair of Perdew mallards and has zero idea what they are.

Or another guy I know, visiting with a farmer/landowner who says, "hey, I might want to sell a couple of decoys I got from my grandfather...like that one up there..." and points to a high-head Walker pintail drake...

Ya just never know.

copperatiosu and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. WHUP ! Hen

A double WOW on the Walker pintail. Supposedly he only carved drakes and only made 8. I am an owner of one and I know the guys who own the other 7. The makers you noted would be what I would expect, however it could be another Perdew like story.

rhpierce likes this.
  4. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Pics would be helpful, sometimes "antique" decoys are the real deal, sometimes they are knockoffs/fakes. Just look at e-bay or craigslist and you'll see the wide range of things people call "antique".

copperatiosu likes this.
  5. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I had a buddy that was a sheister. He'd buy old furniture and "antique " it. Involved burning, dragging upside down, beating with a chain and some special stain concoction. In 20 minutes a coffee table and two chairs become collectible antiques.
    Beware of Tom.

oleww likes this.
  6. WHUP ! Hen

I saw that episode of Roadshow that had the pair of Perdew mallards, not only were they mint but they were a pair of very rare Sleepy Eyes. I think the appraiser said they were worth $400 the real estimate would be $4000 to $5000.

oleww likes this.
  7. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

They are supposed to be getting some for me.

rhpierce likes this.
  8. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

90% of the time they are old Victor or Padco factory birds.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I thought he had the pair valued in 5 figures, but it's been a while since I've seen that episode....someone recorded it for me to show me "because you like ducks"...

@bill cooksey please don't think we are cynical pr***s; I promise you, the decoy collectors on here are excited to see pictures. As with a lot of things, though, it's sorting through a lot of $10 birds to see some really rare stuff on occasion. Every one of us on here hopes that within the photos there's two or three great birds, some cool ones, and some that will probably sell better at a local flea market. Just like when someone around here says, "hey...I think I have my grandfather's old duck calls...let me grab them and show you..."...you know the likelihood will be something good and functional, but you're hoping maybe grandpa swapped a guy out of a Beckhart, or a Bowles call he "swapped for a dozen decoys to the guy in Little Rock that made it".

And, to tell the truth, we WANT your friend to have something cool....the hard part about collecting anything is telling someone that there is probably more sentimental value than actual cash value...

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

From the moment I got the text I would have bet good money they'll turn out to be nothing. It's a neighbor of a friend, so I'm pretty removed from the decoys, but I felt obligated to try to help.

WHUP ! Hen and rhpierce like this.