Decoy Forum Sponsors

Antique Decoy Question

Discussion in 'Decoy Forum' started by bill cooksey, Jun 7, 2021.

1. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

That's because of who you are. Good character trait to have, not quite so common as it used to be.

creedsduckman and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Micah Brosnan(?) with West Coast decoys can help

bill cooksey likes this.
  3. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I love old calls too. Good ones are hard to come by. Most ended up with the family along with a pair of grandpa’s decoys. Most hunters had a dozen or two decoys, but only had one call. Identifying makers have broken up friendships because they both have an idea who made the call. Many hours have been spent in a motel room admiring collections and arguing who made the call. I love collecting decoys and calls and the collectors are a little nuts like me.

rhpierce, bill cooksey and oleww like this.
  4. reddogge

reddogge Senior Refuge Member

I get the same thing on decoys, antique and military guns, and traditional archery stuff.

5. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

I wonder if I should start a new thread, ‘hidden treasures’ or ‘ bargain finds’

I got an old “grandpa’s 410”. Wasn’t expecting much, maybe an old crack barrel single shot with a ducked taped forearm. Come to find out it’s an 11-48 (I think, or older?) in 410. Doubt it’s worth much, but dang fun to shoot and 410 autos are hundred more than I want to shoot for a play toy.

rhpierce and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

In the late 70s my father had a regular column in Petersen's Hunting entitled "Other Trophies" which was pretty much just that.

WHUP ! Hen, rhpierce and oleww like this.
  7. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My Dad hunted with an 11-48 12 gauge, it is one of my prized possessions.

oleww likes this.
  8. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I have a 16 that was my grandfather's. I need to pick up some nontox and let my son shoot some ducks with it. Be neat for Bill V to kill ducks with Bill Jr's old shotgun.

9. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

I have a Model 12 16-gauge that belonged to my grandfather. Plain barrel, full choke, kicks like a mule, surprisingly...you don't notice it while you shoot, but the next day, you'll be sore...

Speaking of 16's - I thought maybe I could find an 870 or 1100 in 16 that I could shoot for doves and get nontox for ducks; it isn't a Fox or Parker, or an over/under like the Citori...right? WRONG. The listings I've seen online for them are $1000 to $3000....and they are selling...holy schnikees...

Not an "old" gun in the sxs sense, but a friend gave me a 3" mag 12-gauge Remington 1100...left-handed, for my birthday a couple years back. Has like a 30" barrel.

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Ran into the same thing looking for a 28ga 1100. Hopefully the new RemArms will produce 1100's again. They're already producing 870's.

bill cooksey and rhpierce like this.